playMaker

Author Topic: New to unity and playmaker  (Read 3543 times)

musclynerd

• Playmaker Newbie
New to unity and playmaker
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:52:25 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to Unity and wanting to start of by creating some 2d games, does any have any recommendations on tutorials I should learn before I start watching the playmaker tutorials or should I just go straight into using play maker. As from what I've gathered it makes creating games much easier.

Would appreciate replies.

Thanks.

KellyRay

Re: New to unity and playmaker
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »
Hey there! Welcome.

There are several solid tutorials on 2D game development. I'd start with the one made by Unity themselves.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/2d/2d-overview

Playmaker will defiantly help you overcome the hurdle of coding if you are not a coding kind of person. There are several other facets that you will need to understand to make a game though, that tutorial above gives you a good idea of what you should be looking for.

musclynerd

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »
Hi thanks, Ive some c# tutorials and I dont mind learning more c# if I have to. Im just thinking if its worth me doing separate unity tutorials before playmaker like you've suggested.

Ive bought a unity course from udemy Im going to complete aswell.

Aus

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Sadware Computer Club
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 07:09:52 PM »
Unity specific tutorials are probably worthwhile, especially if it's the first game engine you've worked with; just for the sake of getting cozy with the Unity UI and other various features.

Zeldag

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 12:34:44 PM »
Hi,

I do not know if you are still looking for tutorials, but id thought id share my favourite:

It is a really good introduction to making the main elements of a 2d platformer using Unity and playmaker.

After watching all 5 parts i was quite confident experimenting further myself.

Only issue is I do not think he provides any sprites or other project files to work with. So I recommend that before watching it you locate some free spritesheets, that you would like to work with. Which overall is a good experience, also you can take the opportunity to learn drawing your own. For the tutorial you will need:

-player sprite (walk, hit, jump, land animations)
-Ground enemy (walk anim)
-Airborne enemy (fly anim) - at least one, although you will be taught to program two different ones.

For importing sprites into unity and getting them ready for the above tutorial, you should use this tutorial:

Probably the nicest tutorial out there for this, covered over multiple parts.

There are others that I have skimmed before, but these two I remember being the most useful in setting a good foundation for using unity and playmakerin 2d games.

The platforming tutorial is really good, I though it was clear and basic, but very informative for me as a noob. Also it is without any backtracking or too many mistakes being made, like in the 2.5d platformer tutorial that is available on youtube (still search for this 2.5d one too as it has useful, playmaker specific info, but watch it after you have a better idea, then you can spot his mistakes before he makes them lol, rather than being totally confused by them).

Hope it helps...