playMaker

Author Topic: Update Text With Input fields During Runtime  (Read 1118 times)

acornbringer

• Junior Playmaker
    • Acornbringer.com
Update Text With Input fields During Runtime
« on: June 24, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »
Hello!

I've been messing around with possible ways to do this for a while now and I think I might just be missing something.

What I have right now is a character sheet for an RPG whose stats can be modified at will by the player via UI Input Fields. When the player is done editing, the input fields are deactivated and matching UI Text elements stay and reflect the changes as they are connected with the "On Value Changed (String)" event in the "Input Field (Script)" component.

The player can also create items with their own list of stat modifiers. When the player adds to these modifiers, I would like the character stats to reflect the sum of the base stat and the modifiers. I would also need to enable the player to edit the character's base stat and have it retain the modifiers afterword.

I've started making variables for each stat and converting those strings into integers so they can be added to but I'm not seeing any changes while I edit in the game so I'm wondering if there's a procedure to this that I'm completely missing.

I would greatly appreciate your insight :)

Thanks!