playMaker

Author Topic: Trying to make a combat 3D Platformer, having a lot of trouble  (Read 2326 times)

SpookyGeck

• Playmaker Newbie
Trying to make a combat 3D Platformer, having a lot of trouble
« on: December 25, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
Hi. I'm still a beginner with playmaker and I'm trying to get started on an action-oriented 3D platformer.

The player character is not humanoid and doesn't use rootmotion so I set them on controller simple move but there's a few problems

When the player is running left and starts to run right, the model clips horrendously.

And I have no idea how to approach the jumping at all. The player's jump translates them into the air but they're still able to continuously jump and I don't know how to restrict this. The entire landing animation activates once the player hits the ground when I want it to activate once the player begins falling

I'm sure this all sounds like a lot of rookie mistakes

I can send a build to anyone willing to help. this is really frustrating.

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: Trying to make a combat 3D Platformer, having a lot of trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 09:57:05 AM »
By "clip" do you mean they go through the geometry?

For jumping- since you are using simple move that means you're using a character controller- there are actions for the character controller that check if its grounded- so before you allow the character to jump check to make sure its grounded first-

You can also add a trigger collider to the feet and make sure that is hitting the ground using TriggerEnter and/or Trigger stay-

You can also fire a ray/spherecast towards the ground from the characters hips and only allow jumps when it hits the ground-

So whatever technique you use you want to add a bool test before jumping to see if the character is grounded-

I've been working on an action 3d platformer for some time now and yes, its quite a challenge!
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

SpookyGeck

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 09:21:42 AM »
Thanks! The raycast and grounded check worked in restricting it to jumps and I managed to fix the rest with Smooth Look At but theres just a few more kinks to work out

After the character jumps and lands, often if I jump immediately after the jumping doesn't kick off and instead it shoots upward and does a run in midair heading downward.

Sometimes after landing it slides about without enacting the run animation for a few noticeable seconds

Lastly, if I run up a slope or cliff and run off, instead of falling or clinging to the surface, it glides toward the ground

kavery

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
How are you calling animations? This can have an effect on how quickly you can re-enter an animation state (ie jump).

You can try using Trigger parameters instead of Boolean ... or instead of using parameters, use 'animator play' action .. or 'crossfade' if you want transitions. It also matters how you check 'has exit time' in your state transition properties. One setting requires the state to finish before accepting another animation call.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:14:57 AM by kavery »

SpookyGeck

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »
I've been following Filmstorm's tutorial on 3rd person games only my character doesn't use rootmotion

It uses parameters to jump