playMaker

Author Topic: Sound Problem  (Read 4631 times)

Rabagast

• Homepage
Sound Problem
« on: May 11, 2017, 03:54:27 AM »
Hi!

I don't know if this is related to only Unity, so I ask both in this forum and Unity.

My question is:
What is the best way to manage sound fx? In my game, you have to shoot asteroids and enemies to get as much points as possible. Everytime I shoot an object, It plays an explosion sound I add to the object I shoot, but when I shoot many objects at the same time, the explosion sound overlap each other. I don't know how to solve this. I have seen some Sound Managers on the Asset store, but I haven't tried them, so I don't know if those will solve the problem.

I really appreciate if I can get some help with this. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:05:49 AM by Rabagast »
Check out our homepage. http://www.walsberg.no
Or my personal game blog for news about my games. http://retro-tetro.walsberg.no

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
Re: Sound Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:42:22 AM »
You can do it manually in unity only but don't bother, there are great assets for sound. I'm using Master Audio AAA which is a paid solution, but if you want to go free Sound Manager Pro 3 is the way to go. It's got Playmaker support too.

Basically what you need to do is limit the number of voices for the explosion sound. What are voices? If you set the number of voices to 1, the sound won't play if the same sound is already playing. Limiting voices to 1 if you have a lot of explosion can be boring, but listening to a cacophony od same sounds triggered at the same time can also be tedious, so i propose you make a couple of different explosion sounds that will play randomly and experiment with number of voices until you get the best result. Also, play around with sidechain compression (popularly called ducking) to bring out the more important sounds up front.

Available for Playmaker work

Rabagast

• Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »
Hi!
Thank you. I will look for these Assets.

Basically what you need to do is limit the number of voices for the explosion sound. What are voices? If you set the number of voices to 1, the sound won't play if the same sound is already playing. Limiting voices to 1 if you have a lot of explosion can be boring, but listening to a cacophony od same sounds triggered at the same time can also be tedious, so i propose you make a couple of different explosion sounds that will play randomly and experiment with number of voices until you get the best result. Also, play around with sidechain compression (popularly called ducking) to bring out the more important sounds up front.

How can I set the limit number of the voices?
Check out our homepage. http://www.walsberg.no
Or my personal game blog for news about my games. http://retro-tetro.walsberg.no

HeathClose

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
I'm not sure where it right now, you'd have to search but Mdot Strange has an action on the forum (might be on the ecosystem too) for a sound player that does random pitch for the sound that he made for footsteps but I have it works great for multiple instances of a single sound

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:26:27 AM »
Hi!
Thank you. I will look for these Assets.

How can I set the limit number of the voices?

To be honest, never really bothered to use unity's native sound stuff, so i don't know how to do it outside those assets.
Available for Playmaker work