playMaker

Author Topic: Asking for tips on random level generation and seeds[SOLVED]  (Read 3078 times)

homeworld

• Playmaker Newbie
Asking for tips on random level generation and seeds[SOLVED]
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:57:56 AM »
Hi guys! I've been thinking of implementing some sort of seed system in the style of Binding of Isaac and other roguelites for gameplay and debug purposes; is this something that could be done with relative ease?

I've found an action such as http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=10739.msg50627#msg50627, and found some mentions of seeds in the unity documentation, https://docs.unity3d.com/530/Documentation/ScriptReference/Random-seed.html, but i have no coding experience at all and i'm not sure how this would work; Do all the random actions in playmaker automatically use the defined seed, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:24:18 AM by homeworld »

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: Asking for tips on random level generation and seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:10:51 AM »
I am not aware of any of the actions to accept a specific random seed. However, you could modify them (as they are written in C#) to accept a seed. If you are looking some some kind of random level generator, I think personally I might use another asset for that part of things. And then use playmaker for the game logic part. It is possible to make your own random level generator out of playmaker (as it is essentially just C# mono), but it would certainly be a difficult task, I think.

You could check to logic of the different actions, but I am sure almost of them just use unitys random class: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Random.html

For a level/dungeon generator, there are some super (and pricey) dedicated solutions out there, as well as some simple cheaper ones. I really depends on what you are hoping to make.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:12:28 AM by tcmeric »

homeworld

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I've already made my level generator, but it didn't occur to me that i'd need seeds when i started working on it;

Unfortunately i have zero coding experience so i doubt i'd be able to mess with the C# scripts and put it in, i was counting on it being already implemented somehow into the random actions, so I guess i'll have to live without it for now.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »
Do you know which random actions you would like to use? Or in which situations you would like use them? I or others may be able to help you modify some of the actions.

homeworld

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
I'm using all kinds of random actions, random ints, picking random gameobjects,  random picks from arraylists, etc;

But just a heads up: i actually tried the action i mentioned in the original post when i got home from work, putting it in a FSM that runs before the level generator, and it does exactly what it says on the tin, using the same seed spawns the same levels! I'm not sure how this works, but i'm very glad it ended up working!