playMaker

Author Topic: How to create a control menu that does not appear in the HMD  (Read 3125 times)

jpine

• Playmaker Newbie
How to create a control menu that does not appear in the HMD
« on: March 12, 2018, 04:32:08 PM »
Hi,
I did a search on the forum and didn't see a similar thread.  So here goes:

I am creating a training app for the Vive (room scale) and have hit a bit of the problem. The person (trainee) wearing the Vive will have very little control over the app with the exception of proximity triggers.  The real control of the training environment will be performed by a trainer sitting in front of a computer screen to include an extensive button control system.  I need to find a way where the trainer sees everything the trainee sees, but at the same time, the trainee sees nothing that the trainer sees on his or her monitor.  I have no idea how to pull this off or if it can even be done in Playmaker.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: How to create a control menu that does not appear in the HMD
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »
Hi, what you need is a second camera. Be aware however, this is can really slow down your FPS, so your game need to be very optimized.

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1243565/vr-and-non-vr-camera-simultaniously.html

jpine

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:31 PM »
Thanks!  And thanks for the warning about optimization.  I don't think trainees getting motion sick makes for a successful training application.  :)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:54:29 AM »
No worries. Its certain not impossible to use 2 cams in VR, but keep it in mind when developing  :D

jpine

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 01:06:34 AM »
Will do.  Fortunately, we have the budget for the higher end GPUs if FPS is going to be an issue with two cameras.  Combined with being anal about optimization in Unity, hopefully we'll be OK