playMaker

Author Topic: Enemies with Rigid Body  (Read 3219 times)

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
Enemies with Rigid Body
« on: October 11, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »
Hiya, this might sound like a dumb question, but do all enemy characters required to have rigid bodies in order to traverse terrain (like slopes e.t.c) and not pass through other objects? Reason I ask is that I'm getting some funky behavior from a test AI I'm using - such as falling over if in chase or bouncing sporadically if going up an inline (ramp/stairs). Any insight would be awesome on this.

I'm using humanoid characters btw, and on the enemy I added a box collider and a rigid body component.

Thx!

Andrew.Lukasik

• my twitter @andrewlukasik
Re: Enemies with Rigid Body
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:13:32 AM »
Hi
 If you're making Ai's movement based on physics be prepared that it will never be 100% predictable. Or at least you must invest some time to make it desirably constraint. Sometimes it's a good thing but sometimes not (depends on what you looking for your game).
 You should probably try making it based on nav meshes and pathfinding system which require no physics and virtually eliminates most of this kind of problems.

A.

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:30:43 AM »
Awesome thx for the quick reply Andrew, will look into this.

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Bugger, didn't realize it was pro only. Guess I'm stuck with what I have?

Andrew.Lukasik

• my twitter @andrewlukasik
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
I don't know of any other integrated with PM options. But A* seems potentially reachable if you dig into it. Maybe it needs only one new action to work... maybe.

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »
To extend onto this topic, I know this may not be a PM specific issue but I'm trying to understand why when an enemy "A.I" controlled character has a character controller attached that it refuses to respect colliders in the world like the player character? I was under the expression that character controllers works a bit different in regards to physics than Rigid Bodies. Just trying to understand it. Been fighting with combinations of everything today :)