playMaker

Author Topic: Where can I learn Game development with PlayMaker?  (Read 8079 times)

GigaTron

• Playmaker Newbie
Where can I learn Game development with PlayMaker?
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »
Hi I'm new here and I wanted to know where can I learn to make genre specific game projects like 2D, 3D platformers, and other types of game tutorials, other than these tutorials that hardly touch the surface of game development.

kiriri

Re: Where can I learn Game development with PlayMaker?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »
This is actually one of the strong suits of Playmaker: There aren't many tutorials because you simply don't need them. Lots of actions do the same thing as a certain function/line of code in normal programming, so if you want to create a certain thing with playmaker, you just need to google something like "Unity XXX" and then follow a scripting tutorial with playmaker.

Now, I know you're probably saying this is stupid and that I as a programmer am biased since I can read code and stuff, but I can assure you that reading code and actually writing it are 2 entirely different things. Reading code is almost like reading English :D
Look for a topic that interests you and post a good/goodlooking tutorial from a coding blog or whatever in this thread. I'll show you how it works on that example then.
Plus, you may have noticed that any specific question generally gets a nifty answer here on the forums within a day or so :) So the lack of tutorials really shouldn't be too hard on anyone determined.
Best,
Sven

DARK_ETERNAL

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
Jajajaja Kiriri. I don't think reading C/C++ is like reading english :P
But, as a programmer, I more than agree that. Reading and writing is pretty different.

GigaTron, you should be able to work with the basic tutorials in the Hutong site. If you're a programmer, you will find them pretty coherent and they'll make sense for you. If you're not a programmer, you'll also learn some programming logic. Finally, this forum has lots of specific questions that might help you learn things uncovered by tutos. I'd say that some Unity knowledge is required, obviously, depending on your desired results, you might need to know more of Unity to have them achieved.
Check out our new game: Nitro Chimp. Now live in App Store!

Trailer:
Download: https://itunes.apple.com/app/nitro-chimp/id557150450?l=en&mt=8

colpolstudios

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »
I have had playmaker for quite a while now, but only started to follow the tutorials up on the site this week.

I have made it through all but the last two, without any issues and am also looking to gain more from using playmaker.

I am not a coder by any means, but have been doing the free unity tutorials up this point.

I felt this was my best approach before coming to playmaker, most in unity java script and some on c#.

"proof of concept" tutorial.

I did this and the simple shooter, based on this tutorial over on www.3dbuzz (free), but in c#.

29 (FREE) videos can be found here:-

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_videonav.php?fid=db25cc88fdc47f4afd9562b6abb1332a

I think this tutorial would be an excellent tutorial for the playmaker site.

But I could NOT read the code and implement it to playmaker, but I am NEW.

If you are up for this Kiriri I would be very intrested.

kiriri

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:48:01 AM »
Do you know if this is available as a text tutorial? I mean, there's no problem with video tutorials but just watching all these tutorials will probably take an entire day, since 90% of the time is spent explaining things (which I find good, but which poses some problems if I wanted to show you how to translate code into FSMs)
I'll see if I find a similar tutorial in text form (don't worry, I'll make a video tut, I know how most ppl here are artists and how we're used to videos nowadays :D )
Best,
Sven

colpolstudios

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
A video would be great, many thanks for your kind offer to take the time to do this.

Update: I would like to thank playmaker for the test scenes and assets.

This is really helping me a lot.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:58:02 PM by colpolstudios »

Warprime

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
I know this topic is old but this is relevant to anyone who comes here looking for answers. There is a Skill Share Class that I just finished (date: 6.1.2013) that I learned a lot from.

http://www.skillshare.com/Play-Make-Your-First-Video-Game-in-4-Weeks-from-Scratch-with-Unity-no-coding