playMaker

Author Topic: Camera Switching [SOLVED]  (Read 4074 times)

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
  • Multimedia Marathon Man
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
Camera Switching [SOLVED]
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:51:01 PM »
How can I switch the depth of my cameras in PlayMaker?  I am so frustrated I've spent days trying to figure this out and I watched the tutorials but they don't cover it.  Please help.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:49:03 AM by Shawn Kilian »

kiriri

Re: Camera Switching
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »
everything but the transform on a game object is a modular addition (component). Every so called component is actually an object class itself. So to change a value of the camera module/component you need to use the set property action on the object variable which represents that component.

All those confusing technicalities beside, just drag the component from the inspector into the action section of a state. That'll give you the option to get or set certain properties on the component/object.
What you need is either the depth or the inherited => active .

Additionally you can also get components at runtime. About that , look at this thread here:
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=2396.0
Despite its' looks, playmaker can actually work with most types of objects, even with most object classes from plugins.
Best,
Sven

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
thank you for the reply.  i am still confused about setting properties though.  i drag my camera into the action and it allows me to set the 'camera' property and then asks me to choose a camera twice.  i don't actually get to set anything though.  is there a way to actually set the depth instead of just accessing the camera generically?  any help is appreciated.  thanks.

kiriri

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
I don't quite understand. Did you drag in the camera component (if you select a gameObject, you should be able to see the camera component in the inspector, along with stuff like the GUILayer component etc. If you drag that thing (drag its' name) right into an empty part of a state, you should get the option to set property. That then should set the properties on the camera component. If you drag in the GameObject itself the properties would of course be things like the camera and the rest of the components, since the gameObject is a collection of those smaller objects. )?
Best,
Sven

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
unfortunately it's impossible to drag a component into an action because i can't click on the inspector of multiple game objects at the same time.  i obviously just don't get it.  this is unbelievable how difficult it is to use cameras in PlayMaker.  i never have problems like this and i thought i was good at PlayMaker but now i just feel terrible.  thanks for trying to help me.  i'll just have to get rid of that functionality.

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
ok i think i know whats going on.  i can't access the depth because i'm doing it from a prefab.  it only works if it's not a prefab.  lame!

kiriri

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »
no... just no.

wait some secs, I'll make a vid :S
Best,
Sven

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »
wait bro! no need!  it just started working.  i had it on the wrong object in the wrong order.  thank you so much for all of your help and i hope i didn't waste any of your time.  the discussion we had did help me figure it out.  i really appreciate it man.

kiriri

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
now that I made it, I can just as well post it for future references :D
www.twisted-pantheon.com/Downloads/example.avi

ah, just as well, can't get it to work :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:29:25 PM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »
thanks man.  how can i confirm this answer as "Solved?" like i see on other posts?

kiriri

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
edit the upper most post. It's right next to the subject

EDIT: Actually, in this forum you may just have to type it by hand. Dunno, forgot it :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:55:12 PM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven