playMaker

Author Topic: PM 1.5 Run FSM is very buggy  (Read 4824 times)

CatchCo

• Playmaker Newbie
PM 1.5 Run FSM is very buggy
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »
I recently downloaded playmaker 1.5 and decided to make a new project to test out the new features. I've remade the project a couple of times and the results are always the same. A description is provided below.

The issue:
After adding a "Run FSM" Action to an existing Fsm and clicking Edit, the PlayMaker Editor window jumps to an empty Fsm with no start state. It is not modifiable. Furthermore this error is reported at about 100 times a second:
Code: [Select]
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
HutongGames.PlayMakerEditor.StateInspector.Update ()
HutongGames.PlayMakerEditor.InspectorPanel.Update ()
HutongGames.PlayMakerEditor.FsmEditor.Update ()
FsmEditorWindow.Update () (at Assets/PlayMaker/Editor/FsmEditorWindow.cs:247)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName)
UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate ()
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

A slight work around:
If you make a template using the template window you are able to choose that with the Run Fsm. However after making the first template, the subsequent templates do not work. They just show a blank Fsm Window with no ability to do anything. Sometimes they generate the same error.

My Setup
I am running Unity free + iOS version 4.0.1f2. I have just downloaded playmaker 1.5. My project is completely new, this is not an upgrade.

hrrsn

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: PM 1.5 Run FSM is very buggy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:08:58 PM »
Think I'm also having this error but without the error log.

If it helps, on a mac running latest 10.8 with Unity Pro 4, from fresh. 4 was fine, 5 is "loosing focus" and not enabling editing without re-instating the PlayMaker Editor via the menubar and replacing the one I have in my workspace.

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Alex has confirmed the blank FSM window will be fixed for 1.5.1 (currently in beta).

For now, the workaround is to make sure the FSM window doesn't get covered over in play mode - put the FSM editor tab somewhere other than alongside the game window tab, and turn off Maximize on Play.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:17:41 PM »
CatchCo, I'm unable to repro the error you posted. Any chance you could send me a video capture?

CatchCo

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:41:59 PM »
Sure, I can reproduce it every time. Here is a link to an example where I:

• Create a blank project
  • Create an empty Game object
  • Add an Fsm
  • Add a Run Fsm action to the only state.
  • Click on Edit Template
  • And watch the error counter blow up.

I also show the playmaker version i'm using at one point in the video. If you watch it with annotations on, you will see my commentary.

Not a valid youtube URL

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:27 AM »
Strange. When I follow the repro steps I don't get the error.

But the video offers a clue. When you create the template you should get a file save dialog that defaults to the PlayMaker/Templates directory. But I don't see that in the video... so I suspect the created template is being saved outside of the project's asset folder, and that's causing the error. Can you confirm where the created template is saved?

EDIT: looked at the video again and noticed the Mac save dialog with Templates selected. So that's probably not the problem. Will test on Mac/Unity 4...

Can you submit a bug with the Playmaker bug report tool so I can get more system info...

Thanks for taking the time to make the video - it's very helpful!

Cheers,
Alex
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:14:13 AM by Alex Chouls »

CatchCo

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 12:12:28 AM »
Actually that dialog shows up and the template is saved to the playmaker/templates directory. I'll make a shorter simpler video and submit a bug via the report tool.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:20 AM »
Was editing my post as you replied :)

I tested on Windows, Unity 3.5. I'll test other configurations...

EDIT: Okay, tested in Unity 4 and can repro the bug. I'll investigate...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:19:15 AM by Alex Chouls »

CatchCo

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 12:44:03 AM »
Since you can reproduce it I wont make an additional video, but I did submit a bug report. https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?616_821s6rl24qiaioun