playMaker

Author Topic: [Community] Example Scene Requests Thread  (Read 39770 times)

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: [Community] Example Scene Requests Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 09:52:11 PM »
Working on some physics based flight stuff!

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38606641/Oomph/Desktop.html
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

sebaslive

• Frame Tale Studios
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 11:13:14 PM »
that is real nice! The roll was fun to play around with and thrusters for the pitch and yaw are a nice touch.
All my VR games use Steam VR Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/u20
And Oculus Touch Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/QT5

Follow me @sebasRez

Dev_Sebas

• 1.2 Beta
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
Hi Lane
Nice job.
Can you just give me a idea.
For roll, pitch and yaw movements did you use add torque or rotate action?
They work like the same but one can be more expensive than other (physics) and one can be more realistic than other.
Cheers
Seb

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »
Hi Lane
Nice job.
Can you just give me a idea.
For roll, pitch and yaw movements did you use add torque or rotate action?
They work like the same but one can be more expensive than other (physics) and one can be more realistic than other.
Cheers
Seb

I'm using physics and avoiding direct rotate controls for the moment, I hope I can maintain that but might add a few for convenience if it doesn't impact the feel. I want to keep it as 'real' as I can.

What I originally wanted to do was build a brain for a hovercraft that managed height from the ground and your rotation levels with physics inputs while the player just aimed where he wanted to go and controlled throttle. This was very difficult and taking too long to polish but basically, was working, but taking too long to iron out.

So I switched to a zero gravity scenario and its much easier to develop because there is no drag and still used many of the same principle FSM arrangements as the hovercraft system. I have not really looked in depth at the performance implications but I do not expect it to be unmanageable.

Yesterday I decided to make this a 6DoF system with strafing, so I'm revamping the controls to accommodate that and making them link to the preferences so a player can re-map if they want. This will make it delivered as a Project, rather than a Package.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:18:14 AM by Lane »
Products by Cleverous

Dev_Sebas

• 1.2 Beta
    • Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »
Thanks
Nice! Good work.
Cheers
Seb

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
I updated the webplayer.
( http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38606641/Oomph/Desktop.html )

There is full control of the ship and firing has been added, you can now perform strafing maneuvers by clutching the engine. By default the engine is engaged and pushing you forward, you can press X to operate the clutch and drift on your current heading. This allows you to spin around anyway you want while still drifting in the other direction, you can then release X and reengage the engine and start pushing forward again.

Lemme know how it feels.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:33:02 PM by Lane »
Products by Cleverous

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 11:33:50 AM »
Oomph
Space Flight System
Coming soon
Physics based flight system for zero gravity applications.

Includes:

• Easily rebindable controls: Pitch/Yaw/Roll/Strafing support, bound to playerprefs. Not tested on Joysticks.
  • Simple to modify: Artificial motor management, drag is manipulated in lieu of vector calcs and complex force applications to combat zero drag drift.
  • Separate motors: Main (linear thrust) and Aux (axial rotations). This allows for more flexibility in ship control.
  • Docking/landing system and ability to exit ship, cycle control systems between FPS walking and ship flight.
  • 'Hangar' area where you may change the Engine and Wings of the craft to affect both engine speeds, weapon types and aesthetics. (this is in AngryShips, but will be more intuitive in this project)
  • Cycling Camera system.
  • Possibility of Photon integration later.
  • Possibility of RageSpline UI integration. I'm not sure how RS shares content, so I have to look into this more but if its easy to share then I'll be making the a UI system with RS. Refer to the Brevis project for UI examples.

I've made some headway on it and roadmapped what I want to do with the project and now that I have time again I can hopefully be more active around here and continue developing these.

Oomph is the next system in the lineup to explain how to do space sim style flight with the actual physics inputs available in unity/playmaker. Due to the nature of space flight there will be some exceptions made to the 'trueness' of the physics system in order to make it actually fun to play and simple enough to understand.

Everything will be commented out to help explain how things work, as usual, as much as I can clearly explain stuff.

A lot of this is already working, I'm working on making some models for the new ship and the interchangeable parts you can put on it, after I get a couple of variations I'll move on to scripting the Hangar and making it swap parts and then move on to the HUD system. Most of you don't have RS, I assume, so I'll just use super simple stuff for the HUD for now and add more advanced kits later.

It should be available in the next 2 weeks if everything goes as planned.
Products by Cleverous

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
Wow, I missed this thread somehow - great stuff! :D

Maurice

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »
Great with this example i can finish my space flight battle game, many thanks and keep up the good work.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »
Okay here is a very, very early preliminary version of the space flight kit. There are lots of things that aren't working as well as I want in here and I have a bunch of things that will significantly change floating around in it. It's also the first time I've tried sharing playerpref input settings so please let me know if it even works.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38606641/Oomph/Oomph_kit_v0.1.zip

You'll need to start a new Unity 4.2+ project, import playmaker, import this package, close Unity, then replace the ProjectSettings folder with the one provided.

Please let me know if that works. You won't be able to move at all if it isn't working. Mouse sensitivity is an issue as well at the moment. I'll address that in the next version.

Feel free to ask questions here if the FSM's aren't clearly understandable.
Products by Cleverous

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »
Looking great Man! Going to try the kit now. :) I love space games!

PS. Don't you think a little lag on the camera (smooth follow) can add to the feeling?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 12:42:07 PM »
Looking great Man! Going to try the kit now. :) I love space games!

PS. Don't you think a little lag on the camera (smooth follow) can add to the feeling?

Yes, but theres some issues with smooth follow in this application that I need to sort out first. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.

Let me know how it works! =)
Products by Cleverous

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »
Oomph WebPlayer Updated!

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38606641/Oomph/Desktop.html

Added the Hangar brain
The groundwork is laid for the hangar system, allowing you to setup a gui for buying mounted objects and placing them in predefined locations, possibly dynamic locations if I get further into the system.

Added a sidewinder missile
Instead of the boring boxy plasma thing I setup a sidewinder missile that flys around with 3 random trajectories.

Built a small basic ship - The Dingy
The Dingy models have been started. The system is calling different prefabs but I'm using the same model for now. I'll expand the models later so its clearer what the difference is.

Setup the systems to be more connected
Driven by the hangar, you will choose ship parts and the ship will load all of those stats, ie you can setup a shop to build components and the ship will 'load' the data into the controller. That may be engine powers or weapon types or whatever - the point is that you just setup the prefabs with the stats and then call them in the shop and then the Ship will handle applying them automatically. It also figures out the thrusters and such automatically so you don't have to manually define them. Just follow the naming process and it will do the rest.
Products by Cleverous

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
Updated the Webplayer again.

• Found a really weird bug in the physics, I added a collider and it totally changed the way the Physics Force and Torque input numbers reacted to the Mass and Drag of the rigidbody. Very odd. Had to figure that out and adjust a bunch of things.
  • Collisions are roughed in. You can now smash into asteroids. Have fun with that =)
  • Added a Look Around function to the cockpit view, you can look around in the cockpit now by right clicking and holding. This disables the Pitch and Yaw controls so you dont go spinning into oblivion.
  • Found and fixed some other little bugs as well.

Next up:

Improving the hangar system & gui
Modelling a Hangar
Setup manual landings
Improve throttle and stopping controls for the ship (or else you'll never, ever land)
Products by Cleverous

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 02:49:57 AM »
This is looking better and better.

I guess you are having ideas about the customization!