playMaker

Author Topic: Tank Knight - My project to learn Playmaker  (Read 4719 times)

Shebhnt

• Playmaker Newbie
Tank Knight - My project to learn Playmaker
« on: July 01, 2013, 11:57:52 AM »
So this is just a really simple game but it was more to learn how to do things with playmaker and unity than anything else.

Big thank you to all of you on these forums as I have stalked these to find many answers as I was putting this together.

http://www.shelbeyhuntsapps.com/TankKnightWEb/TankKnightWEb.html

kiriri

Re: Tank Knight - My project to learn Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »
nice work, I like the pixel style :) Though it's a tad too easy ;)

There is one bug I noticed with your character motor fsm or input controller fsm though. If you press space while holding the left arrow and then release the left arrow key shortly after, then the character will continue moving in the left direction although the left arrow key is up.

I'll just take a wild guess and say you do not have a separate Input Controller Fsm. It's generally always a good idea to have a dedicated Fsm that just gets whether a button or key is pressed, sends an event to a different Fsm that does the actual work (like moves or attacks), and then immediatly loops back to get other keys. That way nothing can be missed.

Other than that, great work :)
Best,
Sven

Shebhnt

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip1  This was all a result of me sitting there and saying to myself, "I want to have my character do this.." then experimenting till I got something working. 

Also the pixel art was because I was also trying out a thing called rage pixel.  It's also is easy as I was just trying to focus on making the game work, not necessarily making the game pretty.

bobbykarate

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 03:30:04 AM »
great work! hows rage pixel? beneficial?

Shebhnt

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:53:45 PM »
It's ok, but unless you want to make all your sprites in the editor it gives you in unity, it is a real pain to try and import any outside artwork. 

This was mostly just to try and figure out the gameplay mechanics so it did help a lot on the sprite side as I am now making a game using sprites but just using playmaker to handle sprites which works but is not as easy.