playMaker

Author Topic: Tips for endless game for iOS. [SOLVED]  (Read 3803 times)

HaraldsVeiss

• Junior Playmaker
Tips for endless game for iOS. [SOLVED]
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:43:04 AM »
Hello!

I am making endless iOS game. At this moment I am researching what is the best way to do this for iOS.

Does anyone have any pointers for the endless scene, what would be the best way for iOS.

I have two ideas:

1. Character moves through the scene and path is created before him.

2. Character stands still, but environment is moving towards him.

If I am overlooking something tell me.

Best,
Haralds
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:32:46 AM by HaraldsVeiss »

escpodgames

• Assets
Re: Tips for endless game for iOS.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:53:46 AM »
Moving the character is the best option. Attach the camera to the character via some of the actions (smooth follow etc). Depending how you make the level you're biggest worry should be the pooling of each level section so you're not creating new level pieces as on iOS this is bad. There are a bunch of ways you could do this but more info into what type of endless game it is is needed.
Are there any existing examples you're game is like?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:55:33 AM by LampRabbit »

HaraldsVeiss

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:36:21 AM »
Hi, thank you for answering so fast.

The game will be something like Jetpack Joyride. Yes I can't quite figure it out how to make this game so it would work on iOS, because as you said creating level pieces is bad on iOS.

Haralds

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
Depending on how you want to construct the level, I would try to have a set of level pieces that are loaded and placed offscreen during the game load/intro. Then just move the pieces into place as the character moves. You can do this based on the distance the player is away from the start point. Also I personally would use geometry where I could and just swap the texture of a level piece to make it look different.

HaraldsVeiss

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 05:34:35 PM »
Thank you for suggestions, now I have some ideas how to set it up. I also did get an endless run starter kit I will take a look at it and go on from there.

Best,
Haralds