playMaker

Author Topic: general feedback & multiplayer and/or serialization?  (Read 5024 times)

mindlube

• Playmaker Newbie
general feedback & multiplayer and/or serialization?
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:17:14 PM »
Hi, I bought playmaker a while back and finally have time to dig in and start learning. Really impressed with the docs and all the example scenes. Great!  ;D

++ bump for multiplayer support!

But, as an intermediate step before that, perhaps even more useful: could you please add an interface to  serialize & deserialize FSM state via a string buffer? Then we could roll our own multiplayer setups, by simply syncing up the FSMs over the network, as required by our game logic. That would be a dream.  **

Thanks again for great product. Oh yeah, what is the meaning of the red and white logograph icon? I like the looks of it; just wondering the translation. ???

** Protobuf-net is my favorite serialization technique for C# and have some experience getting it working on iOS and android using pre-compilation.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: general feedback & multiplayer and/or serialization?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Thanks - I'll look into Protobuf-net!

Definitely want to get multiplayer support into the next update (after 1.2).

The Playmaker logo is the Chinese character for "play." I spent some time in China and really fell in love with it - I lived in a Hutong in Beijing (old courtyard style neighbourhoods) and founded HutongGames there!

mindlube

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: general feedback & multiplayer and/or serialization?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »
OK cool - sounds good! it seems playmaker is exactly what my burned out programmer's brain needs right now :) it's fun watching the hilight flick from state to state. lol.

Here is a link to protobuf-net
http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-net/
if you are interested in the precompilation feature to get it to work on Unity iOS, then you want the V2 Beta. it's more work to setup, but doesn't use any runtime reflection stuff.

and an interesting blog post that helped me out a lot
http://www.frictionpointstudios.com/blog/2011/3/31/using-protobuf-net-serialization-in-unity-iphone.html

Cheers,
Alex Rice