playMaker

Author Topic: Getting chracter to look in direction of right stick  (Read 2221 times)

graniteoctopus

• Playmaker Newbie
Getting chracter to look in direction of right stick
« on: March 05, 2014, 05:24:50 AM »
Greetings one and all.
I am working on a twin stick shooter in playmaker, more or less identical to geometry wars in terms of control.

I've successfully gotten my character to move around from a top down view, by using GET AXIS VECTOR and feeding said vector into SIMPLE MOVE.

I am however having difficulty getting my character to look in the direction of the right stick.

My first method was to use GET AXIS VECTOR for the right stick and feed that vector into LOOK AT, however the vectors supplied were relative to the world co-ordinates 0,0,0. So the character would always look towards the center of the world.

I then set GET AXIS VECTOR to be relative to the player, figuring it would take it's co-ordinates using the character as its world center, but all this did was cause the character to stutter and flail around like crazy when i moved the right stick.

TL:DR
As such im coming to you fine people and wondering if any of you know how i can maker a character look in the direction of the right stick from a top down view.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Getting chracter to look in direction of right stick
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:38:48 AM »
You can set the Get Axis Vector action to be relative to the camera.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D