playMaker

Author Topic: Unreal4 Blueprints & Playmaker  (Read 8769 times)

Uttpd

• Junior Playmaker
Unreal4 Blueprints & Playmaker
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
I think is great to have competition, for unity and also for playmaker. With a top engine advertising Visual scripting to the world more users will look to VS.

Was waiting some of the more learned folks would pick the tab on this one as i´m only a very light user..so; from looking at the videos:
Blueprint use a bit more giberish for English (more programmer oriented) and the spaghetti goes all over the place but its native and being actively develop by Epic and the community (with source code available to pick in).
Is still in beta, so far Epic is being very open and proactive, if this "new beginning" model stays i expect the engine/ tools to grow exponentially in users and usability.

How do they compare?

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
Re: Unreal4 Blueprints & Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »
Having originally been a UDK user myself, I must say it is great that they are integrating visual scripting as a core feature of the engine itself. They are leading the way and setting new standards just as they did with node based shader editors, which Unity still hasn't caught up to. Luckily acegikmo has filled those shoes with ShaderForge.

I must say though, I believe Playmaker is leading the way on the visual scripting front. Unreal has likely taken a hint or two from the expanding popularity of Playmaker. The user friendliness of Playmaker combined with Unity just cannot be beaten. I won't be heading back to UDK anytime soon. I love Unity and Playmaker far too much!

I can't say that I have tried blueprint, seeing as how you have to pay monthly to use UDK now. I probably will sometime in the near future. I can say however that Unity is more user friendly than UDK in terms of learning curve. Playmaker integrates into Unity flawlessly. I wholeheartedly recommend Playmaker.

In the end a tool is a tool, and they will most likely share 90% of features. So use what you are more comfortable with, and make the most of it!
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

NinjaX

• XCO is the ULTIMATE IOS Ninja!!
    • XCOGAMES
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:53:19 AM »
PlayMaker is the best!!
XCO is the ULTIMATE IOS Ninja, Beware for he sees Everything and Nothing all at once!

Robert Foster

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »
i have unreal engine 4 it a awesome tool i still love playmaker  but i learning blueprints it's fun but i still learning  :) i have the source code that free but it's a beta but it so cool one day i well buy ue4