playMaker

Author Topic: Heavy Bullets  (Read 10947 times)

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
Heavy Bullets
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
I released the beta of my game Heavy Bullets yesterday:

Its a randomized FPS dungeon crawler. You start the game with 6 bullets, 3 bombs and a revolver. Each bullet you shoot can be picked back up and fired again. Death is permanent, but you can stash your money in banks that persist through multiple runs.

http://www.heavybullets.com

Its made with PlayMaker, couldn't have done it without it!

Trailer:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:43:39 PM by terri »

sebaslive

• Frame Tale Studios
Re: Heavy Bullets Beta
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »
looks really cool, please keep us posted on how it goes!
All my VR games use Steam VR Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/u20
And Oculus Touch Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/QT5

Follow me @sebasRez

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »
I like the visual aesthetics very much, I also like the visceral feel of the gun shot sounds and the effect of enemies exploding. Very cool.

More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

terri

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 07:57:23 AM »
thanks guys :)

Rbanninga

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
Hello Terri,

Keep up the good work man. This is a fun game developing here and all done with playmaker no less. I love it! Inspires me to keep using this program for my own games.
I am especially interested in how you approached the randomization aspect of the levels themselves. Care to share an image or 2? Is it also generated with playmaker?

Nice trick with the dropped bullets on the ground popping into the air btw.

Cheers and keep us posted as you progress with the development.

terri

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »
Thanks man! Randomization is pretty simple, I have a bunch of blocks:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfWBegQCQAEqzlY.png:large
Different blocks have different "categories" and "levels" which determine their chance to spawn on a certain spot. My biggest influence to doing it this way is Spelunky, so I'd look that up to see if it helps you.

I'll probably write about it more in depth later.

The game is now on Steam Early Access!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/297120/

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:50:35 PM »
Hey man it looks really cool! Theres something really alluring about the gameplay style, from the trailers it feels like the modern renditions of rougelikes that are really just pure survival skill based fun to play, with those fun filled persistent elements.

Kinda funny I saw this on Youtube looking for Playmaker made stuff, plopped it in the User Showcase playlist the other day and then today I happened across a sale voucher for it on Steam! Dunno how I missed this thread getting posted!

Anyway it looks awesome, any chance of getting some peeks at your FSM's or a post-mortem? I say that like it isn't Early Access still, but it looks like such solid work!
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

terri

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
cool, yeah I want to do a post mortem eventually that will show some fsms and stuff!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
Looks amazing!! Off to buy it now :)

I'd love to feature this on our showcase page:
http://www.hutonggames.com/showcase.html

If you have a screenshot (with FSMs would be great but without is fine) and a quote that would be perfect!

Rbanninga

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »
Nice nice. Thanks for sharing the image.

Yea the block method is one I am considering as well. Then with some additional randomization done with each prefab block chunk. I plan to run a recursive task during the first load taking a few passes to randomize the big shapes and then smaller elements inside each piece. I will be buying this on steam for sure. Totally worth it and I look forward to any other little treasures or Postmortem updates.

Did you also consider changing the color of the walls the deeper down you go in the world? Simple trick that can add even more variation. And the same for the grass. Some levels could have taller different colored grass or "snow / sand" and take it even further with the ceiling dropping down creeping vines or simply lowering it in some levels to add extra cramped vibes.

That is why I love generated content. Adding such layers of randomization extends the perceived scope and variation of the world like crazy.

Cheers!
 ;D

terri

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 10:28:51 AM »
Looks amazing!! Off to buy it now :)

I'd love to feature this on our showcase page:
http://www.hutonggames.com/showcase.html

If you have a screenshot (with FSMs would be great but without is fine) and a quote that would be perfect!

Hey, sure that sounds great I'll send you something soon

Nice nice. Thanks for sharing the image.

Yea the block method is one I am considering as well. Then with some additional randomization done with each prefab block chunk. I plan to run a recursive task during the first load taking a few passes to randomize the big shapes and then smaller elements inside each piece. I will be buying this on steam for sure. Totally worth it and I look forward to any other little treasures or Postmortem updates.

Did you also consider changing the color of the walls the deeper down you go in the world? Simple trick that can add even more variation. And the same for the grass. Some levels could have taller different colored grass or "snow / sand" and take it even further with the ceiling dropping down creeping vines or simply lowering it in some levels to add extra cramped vibes.

That is why I love generated content. Adding such layers of randomization extends the perceived scope and variation of the world like crazy.

Cheers!
 ;D

Yeah, there's vegetation that changes as you progress - I've tried the color thing but I wasn't happy with it, I'll probably just keep adding props specific to certain levels

redikann

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 10:30:26 PM »
Saw your game on the Gamespot front page. Semi warm review but hey great job.

terri

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 03:45:22 AM »
Yeah I caught that, some people are into it more than other for sure, but it was valid criticism, I'll take it!

Rbanninga

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 04:56:39 AM »
Looks like its getting some good user responses on Steam Early access. Nice! So all is going well then with the game I take it? :)

terri

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Yes, things are going great! Just got back from E3, now its time to finish the game.

Here's me talking about it: