playMaker

Author Topic: Third Person Jumping  (Read 1338 times)

SuperLuigiBros

• Playmaker Newbie
Third Person Jumping
« on: January 01, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
Hello! I've just joined the forum and hope to stick around for a while. I've used Playmaker for a few weeks now and despite being very much a beginner I thought I'd jump right into seeing if I could get a third person character running and jumping and doing a few other things. I've managed to solve a few problems myself but I think I've hit a wall now.

To give an idea of what my guy looks like, I followed this basic tutorial here:

I'm now trying to make him jump. His movement state is using the Get Axis Vector, Controller Simple Move and Smooth Look At Direction. In this state there's also an action that's waiting for Space to be pressed, at which point it will move into another state with Controller Simple Move and Set Velocity (+5 to Y), then move back into the movement state.

The Controller Simple Move is there because I found he'd fall through the floor when it moves to another state without that Action, even if only for a moment. I should point out that this character also has a rigidbody component because the Set Velocty said it needed one, but adding that didn't seem to affect any functionality. The problem is the Set Velocity doesn't seem to kick in.

I'm wondering if the Set Velocity doesn't work with these other actions, or if I've set it up wrong. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Is there a better way to make a character jump? Any help would be greatly appreciated!