playMaker

Author Topic: My Game Mechanics course on Udemy is released  (Read 12919 times)

stefkeB

• Playmaker Newbie
My Game Mechanics course on Udemy is released
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:35:25 AM »
I've released a basic Game Mechanics course on the Udemy platform using PlayMaker. It's currently a little over half an hour and is looking at the recreation of a simple Flappy Bird-like game, but only focused on the Game Mechanics: physics, collisions, score keeping and resetting. No art, fx, sound, textures. A deliberate choice.

It is at beginners level and needs nothing in addition to Unity & PlayMaker.

I'm planning to add a second chapter, with a simple Pong or Breakout game. Prototype is ready. Now re-creating it to get it to the essentials. If you join the course now, you'll get access to those too.

Here is a coupon code: $9 instead of $29

https://www.udemy.com/create-flappy-game-mechanics-with-unity-and-playmaker/?couponCode=4hutong9

There are a few lectures and a promo video that you can view for free.

Comments and reviews on the Udemy Platform are highly appreciated. Be fair!

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
Re: My Game Mechanics course on Udemy is released
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:16:22 AM »
Your course is surely attracting a lot of attention (300+ students) in the first day.

I'm amazed that this Flappy Bird is still on fire!

stefkeB

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:51:04 AM »
Thank you. Attracting students is part of the strategy to get successful.

For what it's worth, I've prepared a new section which increase the total length of the course. The price of the course will increase, but there are still coupons left, so you can still have it at sales price, while they last.

stefkeB

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »
Course has been updated with a new chapter: a small Break Out game. Price has increased to reflect the new course length, but the coupon above is still available for $9. Don't tell anybody ;) Or better, tell everybody!

wheretheidivides

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 09:16:02 PM »
What's "Udemy"? Sorry, never heard of it.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:13:16 PM »
it's a website with tutorials (mostly paid) you can click the link :)

Demonith

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 05:43:58 AM »
Are u kidding me that he put tutorial to sell xD omg

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 12:33:26 PM »
i must say if they are professionally made.
i don't think that it is a problem paying for tutorials.
i have a subscription on Digital-Tutors and learned a lot from there.

But this tutorial looks a bit simple to get paid for.

but then again that's just my opinion :)

friendly greetings,

Dino

wheretheidivides

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 05:09:18 PM »
You know, there are tutorials on youtube that teach how to do flappy birds already for free.  Just saying.

semie

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 07:37:57 PM »
Udemy is structured along the lines of courses more so than tutorials, but I could be just splitting hairs here.
For me it has more of a learning experience feel than a follow along with this tutorial step by step feel. I have put this down to Udemy and the course providers capacity to provide more of an interactive learning environment you don't get from the youtube tutorial space.
If you can wait and take advantage of the deals and sales for Udemy, you can save a significant amount of money, think steam sales, buy up big and work through the back log later...
I have purchase Udemy courses that are normally $300 for $10 etc through the sales.
Cheers

stefkeB

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 04:56:43 AM »
I obviously know there are free tutorials available. I've published free videos on Youtube too (user = stefkeB) but many of them were in Dutch, for my real-life students at the university.

Udemy is a platform that has a better learning experience: dedicated course interface, resources to download, course follow-up (important not only for the students, but also for the teacher!), direct communication and no distracting adds or other "related" videos screaming for attention.

The courses vary. They are as good as their teachers are. Some are splendid. Others mediocre. And you get the occasional bad ones too.

I do know there are free Flappy tutorials around. But most of them want to recreate the game graphics and cash in on the success of the original (which doesn't work anymore, I assume). In this case, I skipped graphics and focused on basic game play mechanics. Very simple indeed. But this is the stuff that you need to make something fresh. Students are reasonably pleased with it. They are asking for new chapters, e.g. on multi-player or ads (alas, I don't like ads).

Right now, there is a second chapter with a break-out-like game. I want to do multi-player next. I make the tutorials I wanted to have when I was learning this stuff.

Feel free to drop by... No need to complain. You don't have to take the course.
If you do, to above link is still valid (and cheaper than current price). Or PM for a personal code.

I can recommend another Playmaker course on Udemy, with the same instructor (Christopher Orth) as the introduction tutorials on this website. It's not mine and I gain nothing from it, but I took the course 100% and liked it very much.

If you go to the course page on Udemy, it's $99 (+ VAT depending on where you live):
https://www.udemy.com/make-your-own-fps-without-code-using-unity-playmaker

There are two reviews right now: mine (5 star) and one anonymous for 1 star, which I think is unfair.

This course has been bundled with other Unity tutorials too for $49 which is obviously a better deal (although bringing in less for the course author):
https://deals.macappware.com/sales/unity3d-game-developer-course-bundle?rid=825671

I'm not against paid tutorials, if they have value. I do believe mine has, but you should make up your own mind.

gheeDough

• Playmaker Newbie
    • indie game school
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 12:26:16 AM »
Hey stefkeB,

Thanks very much for the recommendation on the FPS course!  ;D

The 1-star review guy actually didn't realise he'd left a 1-star review — he did it by accident! He's now changed it to a 5-star review. 

Another guy has left a 3-star review now because he feels that the course isn't 'shooter' enough, which I'm not sure I agree with, but hey... ::)

And yes, Udemy is much more than just the tutorials. You can ask questions, get feedback on your game etc...you're essentially paying for the instructor's attention, not the tutorials themselves. In our case, the instructor is a veteran game designer with well over a decade of AAA game design experience, not a pimply 15 year-old YouTuber. Nothing against 15-year-old pimply YouTubers, some are awesome, but yeah, they're not generally in the same league. At all. ;) Christopher teaches game design at the University of Washington.

stefkeB is a uni lecturer as well I believe and his tuts are very clear.

These guys are pros, and pros generally like to get paid for their time because it's a limited resource. The same goes for photographers, game designers, etc
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:28:22 AM by gheeDough »

norman

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 11:27:44 AM »
This tutorial looks great for a brand new playMaker user such as myself. I just signed up and I'll be working through it tomorrow and following up here.

norman

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 11:50:35 PM »
I finished the course and left a review on Udemy, overall I found this to be an excellent primer on playmaker.