playMaker

Author Topic: Jerky Smooth Follow Action  (Read 3384 times)

MajorIdea

Jerky Smooth Follow Action
« on: December 30, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »
I feel kinda bad posting this as it's clearly an old problem, but I've looked pretty much everywhere both here and in the unity forums and been trying to fix it for hours now and have no idea why it's not working. I think the problem is with the Height Damping.

Basically I have a camera with the Smooth Follow Action following the player. When the player jumps, if the Height Damping value is bellow 3 or above 60 it works smoothly enough. The problem is that I need it around 15 and anything between those values is super jerky.

I've tried pretty much everything I could think of:
Tried every combination of Interpolations on the Player's Rigidbody, downloaded Jean's Smooth Follow Action 2 with the Late Update, Edited the script to OnFixedUpdate as the unity script documentation said it was required dealing with rigidbodies (that just made it not work at all).

I'm really at a loss here. Any idea why it's happening or how to fix it?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:49:38 PM by MajorIdea »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Jerky Smooth Follow Action
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »
Hi,

You shoudl try on a  clean scene with a simple character, you may have confilcting actions for your camera work.

smoothFollowAction is using lateupdate on the latest playmaker package. Can you double check you have the latest playmaker?

bye,

Jean

MajorIdea

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »
Hey Jean,

Thanks for the reply. I think I do have the latest playmaker (1.7.6.f4) and did as you suggested.

Made a new scene with a ground plane, a cube (with rigidbody) as a character and a main camera with an empty game object as a parent. I added the smooth follow action to this parent with a Height Damping of 15. For the cube I added a mouse look action for it to turn and a Add Force of Y50 when pressing space.

Same results.  ???

However after banging my head on this for a long time I just used something else for the camera.  So I guess I'm good for now.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
Hi,

Could you send me this test scene you did? I am curious to see what the problem is exaclty and solve it.

bye,

Jean

MajorIdea

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
Talk about reviving an old topic. But I've tried fixing it and had to move on to other things but I keep bumping into this issue and I don't know why.

How it looks: https://gfycat.com/ScrawnyFaroffInsect

So as asked here's a test scene: https://www.dropbox.com/s/apvgnqj6zbup666/CameraTest.zip?dl=0

(WASD and SPACE to move)
I think I tried every combination of late update / interpolation etc :\
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:53:46 PM by MajorIdea »