playMaker

Author Topic: Are there any plans for playmaker to support UNet?  (Read 6040 times)

inyourbus

• Playmaker Newbie
  • In Your Legends
    • In Your Legends
Are there any plans for playmaker to support UNet?
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:39:34 AM »

I did do a quick search on the forum and had a look in the trello account but found nothing.

Are there plans to fully support UNet like you currently support native networking and Photon? and to a lesser extent Bolt.

I am sure Lane and Jean are well aware of it but links for anyone who may not know about it..

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/06/11/all-about-the-unity-networking-transport-layer/

https://youtu.be/ywbdVTRe-aA
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:11:22 AM by inyourbus »
One step at a time..

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Are there any plans for playmaker to support UNet?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:21:36 AM »
Hi,

Yeah, I think support will be provided, via the wiki, I haven't heard of any official support for PlayMaker. I think it will be like Photon probably.

Before I ( If I am the one to first have a go at this) do it, I'll wait for the 1.x release to be out, as always, 1.0 release are always subject to lots of changes and bug fixing. Currently, I strongly recommand using existing solution, they are battle tested and provides proper support. If you start using the Unity network solution, you'll be relying on the usual Unity support, forum and UA, which could be problematic at time. If you rely on an addon, you can expect  ( I would hope), a strong dedicated support.

So, I personally will wait a bit, see how much it will cost, what are the options, etc etc, and also see what kind of samples are coming out with it, which is very important for providing PlayMaker port that is useful.

Bye,

Jean

inyourbus

• Playmaker Newbie
  • In Your Legends
    • In Your Legends
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:10:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply Jean, I understand completely.

I would like to ask your opinion if you have the time. feel free to move this topic into another forum if its now out of place.

What would you use for an arcade racing game? (3D micro machines, Rock'n'Roll Racing)

Bolt, Photon or Unity Native networking? UPark is out of the question for me.

So far I have only worked closely with Photon.

I am tempted to purchase bolt very much but there seems to be some bad blood in the community around updates, but the video tutorials and documentation show of some really impressive translation. I see that Lane has done some work towards supporting it and thats great news. Should I take the plunge?

I like photon and have been successful with it but it has been laggy even when using techniques to alleviate it like interpolation, but that may be due to my bad technique. Is it viable for games that need fast translation updates?

Unity native seems as straight forward as Photon aside from setting up your own environment for client - client networking but I have read that NAT punch though is not all that great and that its not really good overall.

Or should I just go through testing all three?

Non Authoritative is just fine.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:43:46 AM by inyourbus »
One step at a time..

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »
Hi,

I would stick with Photon personally ( not because I work with them, I really mean it).

Now, if you can afford the time and expense, the BEST way is to test them all of course.

Support is vital, and so I would pick the solution where you find the right balance between perfs and active support. No Point in using a really advanced system if there are noone to help you out make th emost out of it.

having said that, I don't think the lag you experience is due to the system itself, and could be related to many factor such as:

-- bad latency with your internet provider ( I have 40ms+ which is extremly bad...)
-- you haven't selected the best cloud server in terms of access speed
-- indeed how you treat data can play a huge role

I would ask for testing tool suits to benchmark the raw network perfs before making further assumptions as to which solution runs the best.

I don't know what's the latest with Bolt, Lane will answer ( pm him if he missed that thread).

Bye,

Jean

inyourbus

• Playmaker Newbie
  • In Your Legends
    • In Your Legends
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »
Thanks for your input Jean, Much appreciated.

I will keep all your advice to mind.
One step at a time..