playMaker

Author Topic: 3rd Person Character Movement  (Read 33462 times)

Nog

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: 3rd Person Character Movement
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 05:05:31 PM »
Thank you justifun. Your third person controller is excellent, and the video you created really helped me to understand FSM's and global variables. Powerful stuff. Again, thank you for your help.

Nog

marcustegtmeier

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 06:04:43 PM »
I've been messing with this for a couple days now as I think it's what I need.  My character loads in the scene as a prefab with the camera attached.  For some reason my character will not move directionally but will only rotate despite setting up everything exactly as Justifun did in the video (which I've watched backwards and forwards trying to troubleshoot the problem).  I did get the character to move once by switching the global variable to Rotation Axis instead of Player Axis Magnitude, however the character will only move directionally after rotating to the right first, very strange.  Perhaps I'm missing a script or something somewhere?  Any ideas or tip would be appreciated.

Additionally, I'm trying to figure out how to get the camera to follow the character by moving along the xz plane but not rotating when the character turns.  I'm guessing it has something to do with getting the rotation axis and making it negate a global rotation variable?

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »
This video is over 3 years old now, there's probably a better way to do it. Have you tried the camera tutorials here?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC6A20FADF0C7D4FB

marcustegtmeier

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 02:44:51 AM »
You're right Justifun, I found this video tutorial on another thread When I tried to parent the camera to the player it rotated along with the character.  To fix this I ended up adding this simple controller to my character and then created an empty game object with the same controller on it minus any rotation.  It works for now anyway, we'll see if that causes problems down the road.  This is only used for my "over world" area, any interiors will have a fixed camera.  Now player and camera are loaded dynamically in each scene and it's very clean.