playMaker

Author Topic: (WIP)Side scrolling shooter  (Read 7795 times)

PalaceAthene

• Playmaker Newbie
(WIP)Side scrolling shooter
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
Hey there, this is my first ever game and I plan to make it as polished as possible. Originally I did 3D modelling, but after 2 years graduating from university I decided to make my own simple game and see if I can do it.

This game has no name yet, but it will be a side scrolling shoot'em up like Gradius, R-Type, Salamander, etc... Features I want to implement will make full use of the mouse and keyboard, so its a PC game. It will use WASD as movement, holding the left mouse button down to fire a continuous forward moving stream of projectiles, and using the mouse cursor as a lock-on cursor to target enemies, right click will fire missiles onto enemies that the cursor have locked on to.

This is the player ship (very work-in-progress!), which I plan to have multiple weapon modes that the player can cycle through easily with the mouse wheel. Its like a 2D side shooter but instead of the player being human which has to walk, the player is a ship which isn't constrained to gravity.

Things to do:

Movement (Using AxisRaw?)
Player constrained to on-screen(can't go off-screen)
Shoot
Targeting System
Weapons Cycling
Enemies
Enemy Spawns
Enemy Explosions
Enemy pattern movement
Enemy pattern firing
Levels
Bosses
Powerups
Shield Pickups
Scrolling backgrounds

First prototype. Use WASD to move and left click to fire. Be careful not to move off-screen.
Version 0.01

Update: 18/03/2012
-Created a simple enemy spawner.
Version 0.02

Update: 19/03/2012
-Finally constrained the player to keep onscreen
-Fixed movement to be more like old-school shooters
-Now able to shoot enemies
-Destroying enemies creates a simple explosion particle effect
Version 0.023

Update: 20/03/2012
-Added scrolling background
Version 0.024
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:14:53 PM by PalaceAthene »

Loic Joint

• Junior Playmaker
Re: (WIP)Side scrolling shooter
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:01:44 AM »
Nice modeling! THE motor works fine with me, a great project in the making!

I try too adventure video game, I have some questions about you and your project. What softwares are you using ? You work alone?

good luck for the future, I will follow the development of your game (you have a blog?)

PalaceAthene

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »
Right now I'm working alone, but I really want to find a programmer to join me on this project. Unfortunately I don't have a blog or anything, I don't plan to create one until I get something at is worth showing. For now I will keep updates in this thread.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my work.

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »
Playmaker should allow you to make your entire game without having to require a programmer at all, that's what makes it so powerful!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:03:34 AM »
Hi PalaceAthene. I really like your approach here, prototyping the gameplay with primitive shapes, checking off a todo list... and it seems like you're making good progress... I don't see anything in your TODO list that isn't possible in PlayMaker. And you know what you want, so you should drive! The more hands on you get, really where the rubber meets the road, the more happy accidents you'll recognize, the more you'll say "what if I tried this" and you can just try it...

Then again I'm a little biased  :D

PalaceAthene

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:48:32 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, I will do my best on this project! :)