playMaker

Author Topic: Construction Guy Demo? [SOLVED]  (Read 6935 times)

loki72

• Playmaker Newbie
Construction Guy Demo? [SOLVED]
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »
greetings,

i purchased playmaker after watching the Animation Graph 1 and 2 videos. i am having trouble recreating the videos completed construction worker. is there any unity demo for people that have purchased the playmaker package?

also...are there any tutorials on how to setup the unity bootcamp soldier and the various states it uses.. such as jumping.. and crouching?

thanks
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:28:50 PM by Alex Chouls »

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
Re: Construction Guy Demo?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »
What part of the tutorial are you getting stuck on ?  I can help if i know more about the specifics of what part isnt working.

loki72

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
hi

i can not seem to get the construction guy's motor control speed and the animation playback speeds in the animation FSM to synch up correctly.. he is animating too slow for the speed the controller moves across the plane (walking or running).

hope that makes sense.. if not i can try to send a a copy of my scene file.

thanks again.

EDIT: and i have watched the animation graph 1 & 2 and Third Person Controller videos.. several times.. to no avail. :(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:41:27 PM by loki72 »

sonicviz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:49:24 AM »
Hi,
I just bought Playmaker to test for some rapid prototyping and have the same issues.
I watched the animation1 video at http://www.screencast.com/users/HutongGames/folders/PlayMaker but the first annoying thing is it jumps straight into a setup with 3 states having play animations with no explanation of the steps taken for this.
I can add the states and animations ok, but the Alt click does not work without what appears to be some kind of start or global transition to each start, but I can find nothing in the docs about what these start transitions are. I've had a play, but seriously I don't have all day to pla with playmaker trying various combinations to see if it works.

Could you please provide the demo for this tutorial or at least explain exactly what you did to set it up.
I know it's probably very simple, but the information is not provided to a new user and it would be very helpful and speed the learning curve immensely if you could just explain a little more.
My use case is to test if I can use this instead of buying Sage, as I need a custom 3rd person/AI  controller.

ty.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:03:55 AM »
Hi,

Yes, alt clicking is only available on a state featuring a global transition. It's by design, not a bug, but I do find it constraining too.

the global transitions are entry points using an event. Events are defined in the "event" tab of the fsm editor.

so go to the event tab, create a new event, then right click on a state and "add global transition", select your event or any of the available ones. this is how for example you can send an event from one fsm to another, making it an event global, will make it available to all fsm to respond to it.

within each state you can add actions, click on the "action browser" butto, then double click on that action to add it to the selected state. then you can set that action properties.

Bye,

Jean

sonicviz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:19:55 AM »
A1. Ty for the concise clear instructions. Suggest you add this to the video asap, saves a lot of frustration for very new users. ty!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
We'll add some notes to that video. Did you look at the more basic videos first? The thought was that more advanced videos could skip some of the basics covered in other videos, but maybe that's not working...

sonicviz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
We'll add some notes to that video. Did you look at the more basic videos first? The thought was that more advanced videos could skip some of the basics covered in other videos, but maybe that's not working...

Yes, I went through in sequence, and no, it's not working ???

Or maybe it's the order you have them in, because if you go in sequence you come to the Animation1 video and all of a sudden three states are there with no explanation of the global transitions above them, or the fact alt key only works on them etc. Kind of frustrating to a new user.

Don't assume anything on a new users part, make sure what you introduce has been taught and has a reference to the docs. ty!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
Re: Construction Guy Demo? [SOLVED]
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »
Not sure what you mean by the "alt key only works on them".

The alt key is a shortcut to test the FSM by sending events. You can use it to transition to any state connected to the currently active state, either by alt clicking a transition event or the target state. Since a state with a global transition is essentially connected to every other state in the FSM, you can click on it at any time.

You cannot use alt click to jump to any state since that doesn't really test the structure of the FSM. Perhaps I'll add an Alt + Shift click for that...

EDIT: Also check out the docs as well as the videos. For example, an overview of FSMs:
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W133

But we have more videos in the works, so keep the feedback coming!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:17:09 PM by Alex Chouls »

terrymorgan

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »
Does anyone have a unitypackage of this 1st construction guy video? 'animation graphs part 1'

I can't get 'ToIdle' to appear under START, and I don't know what type of transition to put in ToRun and ToWalk

I got the 2nd one 'anim graphs part 2'.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
I can't get 'ToIdle' to appear under START, and I don't know what type of transition to put in ToRun and ToWalk

Right click on the state and Add Global Transition.

Global Transitions are triggered regardless of the current state. E.g., use Send Event to trigger the transition.