playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker 1.8 : broken actions  (Read 2476 times)

RoiSinge

  • Playmaker Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Playmaker 1.8 : broken actions
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:41:43 AM »
Hi,

I just updated to playmaker 1.8 and I get a lot of errors on multiple actions, like this :
MainMenu_CONTAINER: MainMenuCarousel: GetFirstInArray: ArrayListGet: Missing Variable: GameModesArray

The thing is that the variable indicated as missing is not linked to the action causing the error. This variable doesn't even exist in the all project !
Some game objects in the project have the same name as this fake variable though...

Those errors seem to be mostly related to array maker, rect transform and pool manager custom actions.

This issue is very critical, and I absolutely need playmaker 1.8 in order to work with sprite arrays.

Here are some screenshots of what the actions look like in the editor

krakov73

  • Playmaker Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Playmaker 1.8 : broken actions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:17:46 AM »
I'm getting this too, mentioned here: http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=12277.msg57209#msg57209

Its been a while since Alex said he would look at these problems, but no dice yet :)

So, back to actions spitting out error messages they have no right to - I have found that some templates  I was using were throwing the same error messages when I dug down into my projects heirachy & was just enabling & disabling them in the editor - and they were phantom error messages too - no problems with the template, however when I removed the template in question & stuck it back on 'some' of the error spam went away.

I think its almost certainly a bug either in the upgrade process to 1.8 or the new error checking behaviours that actions are throwing error messages that seem to be eminating from other fsm's and its really difficult to track down the actual culprit (if there is one) in these cases.

Also really not liking whats happened to the Actionhelper's - (could use better documentation on these please) I seem to be getting better results swapping out all my actionhelper calls with my own getcomponent functions.

Would really like to try out those fancy arrays & enums (they look great) but I'm stuck with this stuff atm.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:32:48 AM by krakov73 »

jeanfabre

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 14703
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • View Profile
Re: Playmaker 1.8 : broken actions
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:46:24 PM »
Hi,

One of your action during the same processing routine is likely missing a variable ( got lost in translation or something).

 It happened to me few times, and the problem was not on the action featuring the issue. So it's very tricky to solve.

can you check in the console for potential warnings when that happens?

Bye,

 Jean

RoiSinge

  • Playmaker Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Playmaker 1.8 : broken actions
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 07:51:37 AM »
I didn't notice any additional warning in the console after an action threw one of these errors.

However, I noticed that all the incriminated actions have a "GameObject" field set to "use owner".
If I switch to "Specify Game Object", the field is automatically filled with the non existent missing variable.
Then I assign an existing variable to that field, switch it back to "use owner" and... Problem seems to be solved...
Yet it's quite tedious to do with more than 200 broken actions ^^

Also, I sent my project to Alex so that he can take a look.

Alex Chouls

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3634
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • View Profile
    • LinkedIn
Re: Playmaker 1.8 : broken actions
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 08:45:14 AM »
Thanks RoiSinge that's a very good clue! Will try to get a fix out asap.

jeanfabre

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 14703
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • View Profile
Re: Playmaker 1.8 : broken actions
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:10 PM »
Hi,

 I had this before, I am trying to repro this and find the right way to solve it. The problem is likely on a different action all together, where a variable reference got corrupted during the upgrade process or Unity or PlayMaker. So you need to really around all fsm currently active around the time of the error.


Bye,

 Jean

Alex Chouls

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3634
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • View Profile
    • LinkedIn
Re: Playmaker 1.8 : broken actions
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:59:51 AM »
There was an issue with OwnerDefault variables that RoiSinge found. If the parameter previously used a variable, that variable name was still stored internally and would cause a missing variable error even though the user couldn't see it. This is fixed in the 1.8.1 beta.