playMaker

Author Topic: Best Water  (Read 4457 times)

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Best Water
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »
Does anyone here use a water solution for Unity that they just love?

I am doing a demo for a company and need an ocean water solution.. I have something using Water 4 i think it is.. It is ok but not the greatest. I have not quite figured out how i scale it properly and keep the same look. And i also need to move in it or maybe i can just adjust the settings to look like i am moving in it.. Then comes the wake of the boat..

I did some reading on the Community water shader but from what i read it was pretty hardware intensive to be used in general.. not sure i am still reading.

Anyway if someone has a great solution they love and think it might fit i would love to know about it. And if i find one i will put something here too.

Q

MUX

• Playmaker Newbie
    • @stefstivala
Re: Best Water
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:30:52 AM »
have you seen this
http://www.tasharen.com/windward/water/?

it's new to the app store ;)

* edit or do you mean like a physics buoyancy water?

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:40:30 PM »
Thanks, That looks pretty good.. what i needed was an ocean with boat wake...

It is for a technical demo showing the operation of big equipment loading and offloading off the back of a big ship.

Q

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »
There was a community project done on the unity forums but it will require a great deal of polishing to make it work.

I made a post over there about the subject not too long ago maybe you can find it in my recent posts. I think the thread was titled "Look at this water" or something.

Unity doesn't have any quality water system. A few people have done projects unrelated to unity and have been asked to port them over since there isn't a good system available but unfortunately while there is potential for someone to do it the actual product does not exist yet. At this point your best bet would be to manually noise animate a plane with a water shader of your choice and find a way to imply motion to the boat, probably manually on a loop.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »
Yes i did look at that actually a few months ago or more when i was looking at doing up a quick demo.. never happened i was too busy with other work and what i found was like you said not polished and seemed to be a bit heavy to run on an iPad or something.

Still hoping for something in the future.

Q