playMaker

Author Topic: Replace Missing Action with proper action  (Read 3002 times)

jrDev

• Junior Playmaker
Replace Missing Action with proper action
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:17:29 PM »
Hey guys,

Is there a way to replace the Missing Action with the correct Action that was used before. So I have a custom Action and I changed the name and now all references to that Action is lost and I don't want to have to readd the action with all its values setup already. I tried renaming the Missing Action to see if it would find the correct but that doesn't work.

Any solution to this?

Thanks,
jrDev

Zeldag

Re: Replace Missing Action with proper action
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:42:42 AM »
I believe that if you open the action script in explorer, move it to another folder, them rename it and reimport it, it may just put everything back together for you.

Maybe not though as Im a noob and only used custome actions made by others.

Good luck with it.

(edit to add: when you rename scripts make sure you rename the bit that has the title in the beginning of the script too. Lol Its funny that Im saying this as a none scripter but that is one issue I had a lot when renaming/duplicating scripts, back when I tried to script).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:13:37 AM by Zeldag »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:01:25 AM »
It's important not to save the scene with Missing Actions.
When a Missing Action is found it shouldn't mark the FSM dirty. But if you make other changes, and then save the FSM, the Missing Action will be saved and you will no longer be able to just replace the missing script to restore the action.

So basically it's important to replace the missing script.
And to use version control with your project so you can revert any unwanted changes!

I really can't stress the importance of version control enough. I personally can't imagine working on any project without it. Especially with Unity where little changes can break things in ways that are very hard to reverse - unless you use version control.

jrDev

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 11:36:03 AM »
Hey,

I appreciate the responses guys. I will look into using Bitbucket for version control.

Thanks,
jrDev

Zeldag

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 04:00:25 AM »
Hi, not trying to hijack the thread, but maybe expand it or something, sorry if i do hijack it.

I am curious about version control.

JrDev- I was wondering why you chose BitBucket? What else did you consider?

I was searching a lot about version control and cant find much about it and playmaker together. Was wondering if it is basically same as unity overall or if anything specific needs to be kept in mind for playmaker?

Also is there any guide for version controlling playmaker FSMs and stuff as a few basic google searches turned up nothing.

There is the unity guide though: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExternalVersionControlSystemSupport.html

Thanks and sorry to be asking here.

jrDev

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 11:25:46 PM »
Hey,

Bitbucket was just the first one I thought of, I need to do some research too.

Thanks,
jrDev