playMaker

Author Topic: input fields loose focus  (Read 29434 times)

Menno007

• Playmaker Newbie
input fields loose focus
« on: April 19, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »
Hi

I am using Playmaker 1.8 on OSX and Unity3D 5.3
When creating events or variables (or some other action) and I want to type
something the input field looses focus. If this happens I can only type 1 letter at the time.
This *bug doesn't always happen.
Is this something known? Or perhaps it is some setting at my end?

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: input fields loose focus
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:21:34 AM »
This has happened to me as well with PM 1.8 and Unity 5.3- I thought it was an issue with my PC- it usually happens when I'm naming an FSM or a state- and it loses focus after one character and I have to re-click the field to continue typing-
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

Menno007

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
Yeah, it is really annoying because when I start typing and not paying attention I press all kind of shortcuts in Unity.. Then I have no idea why something is hidden or disabled for example :-(

westingtyler

• My Video Game Projects Web Site
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 04:56:55 AM »
I have experienced this problem too, with Unity 5.3.4p1 and Playmaker 1.7.8.3. I load up a scene, go into an FSM, click a state name box to rename that state, it types the first letter, then defocuses that box so then I am pressing a bunch of shortcut keys in Unity. Obnoxious and rather new.

PET

• GamerPET
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 05:28:51 AM »
Just came to post this! First time I'm encountering this. I just created a new state, I'm trying to rename the state but every time I'm pressing a new button the state get's deselected.

Playmaker 1.8 Beta & Unity 5.3.5.
If I remember correctly, didn't had this problem on 5.3.4.
Technical Game Designer
www.GamerPET.com

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 09:41:17 AM »
Hi,

We can repro this as well, thanks for reporting!

Bye,

Jean

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Well Jean can repro - I haven't been able to repro yet!  :'(

ukalex

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »
Hello - is there a fix for this? I get this issue whenever I go back to rename a state. The selected state becomes de-selected after the first character is typed in the box. If I click the state again it will let me continue to rename without interruption.
Unity 5.3.4f1
Playmaker 1.8.2.f7
Thanks

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 01:04:48 PM »
Hi,

uhm, that's odd. I can't repro exactly what you have, but something slightly different where the state stack goes blank after you rename a state and straight away create a new var from an action on that state.

Maybe you could do a screencast, then I'll try to do exactly as you do to try and repro.

Bye,

Jean

Unisonkid

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 04:36:02 PM »
I had this same issue happening as well and I basically gutted my project to get to the bottom of it and came to find out it was another asset causing the problem.
In my case it was Suimono water system. Now once I found out it was this causing it I did test and found that it was only causing the problem when I had it active in the scene once I disable the game object PM returned back to functioning ability. So for those having the problem check other assets they might be calling the focus from PM when typing in the state rename or fsm rename fields. Hope this helps  ;)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 02:07:01 AM »
Hi,

yeah... sometimes it just doesn't want to let you be productive...

Thanks for the explanation, I'll try to remember this case when others are facing this issue.

Bye,

Jean

Abelius

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »
This is happening to me as well, and I don't have that asset.

But what it is FAR more worrying now is that I've lost the ability of writing more than one character in every action text field. Just as I enter a character I lose focus in the text field. Those from Unity are fine, it's only in the PM editor.

What it's really strange is that this morning it was fine and I've tried to power off my PC just in case it was something weird with my keyboard but no, it's happening only with PM.  :-\
Unity 2019.4.9f1
Playmaker 1.9.7f1

jrDev

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 01:16:12 AM »

But what it is FAR more worrying now is that I've lost the ability of writing more than one character in every action text field. Just as I enter a character I lose focus in the text field. Those from Unity are fine, it's only in the PM editor.

What it's really strange is that this morning it was fine and I've tried to power off my PC just in case it was something weird with my keyboard but no, it's happening only with PM.  :-\
I am having this happen to me a lot. I kinda just posted a thread on this because I couldn't find another topic till now. What I am trying to understand from the poster above about the focus solution is how can a window call focus without being opened?

Thanks,
jrDev
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:18:24 AM by jrDev »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 01:40:15 AM »
It's not necessarily a window, it could be an inspector. Try collapsing inspectors in the Inspector Tab. But editor tools can also register callbacks that could steal focus without a window or inspector open.

Most of the time we've traced these focus problems to a third party editor extension misbehaving.

However we do have a couple of open focus bugs to do with editing a prefab when there is a prefab instance open in the scene. I'm still trying to reproduce that issue. If your focus problems happen specifically when editing prefabs or prefab instances please let me know!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:43:54 AM by Alex Chouls »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 03:49:19 AM »

Try to open an empty scene and then edit your Prefab, because I think you are having problem when editing prefabs right?

also, make sure you have 1.8.3, the latest version from the Asset store. Do you get the problem even then?

Bye,

Jean