playMaker

Author Topic: Current IK tutorial?  (Read 4297 times)

everycolorfades

• Playmaker Newbie
Current IK tutorial?
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
I could really use a good tutorial on foot IK with mecanim and playmaker in unity 5, does one exist somewhere? A forum search directed me to this page: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W1031 but it says the examples have been removed.
I'd really love to see how it's handled in an actual project or video, as instructions like perform a raycast, etc will probably go a bit over my head at this point. :P

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Current IK tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:58:05 AM »
Hi,

it's actually easy, it's only requiring the action "SetAnimatorIKGoal"

I have wrapped up the examples, It's only Unity 4.7 with PlayMaker 1.7 ( not 1.8). Not tested on Unity 5.

you can download them here, I am not publicly advertising it because it's under heavy development.

-- you'll need to get the latest animator package from the Ecosystem ( just updated 5 mns ago).

-- you'll need also the mecanim sample asset:

then you can open the scene "PlayMaker Animator Examples/Inverse Kinematics PlayMaker",

1: hit play
2: select Character PlayMaker IK
3: click "ACTIVATE IK" in the PlayMaker inspector
4: in the hiearachy, under "effectors", move the various targets to see the effect

Let me know if that helps.

Bye,

Jean

everycolorfades

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 11:08:38 PM »
Thanks for posting that, I haven't had much time to play with it this week but I think I understand how set animator ik goal works. I made a box, made it a child of my characters foot, and made that the ik goal for the left foot. It works - when I play the scene I can move it up and down and my characters leg moves like you would expect, but how can I now use that to make it react to the environment, like stairs or a slope?
Should the goal be a raycast result?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:43:12 AM »
Hi,

The goal can be anything, but likely, it should be an empty gameobject properly places on a prop that when you trigger your character IK you go for this target so that when you animate over the obstacle, you know exactly where each IK should be.

Bye,

Jean