playMaker

Author Topic: Help (Turn-based strategy )  (Read 4091 times)

Ateam

Help (Turn-based strategy )
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:10 AM »
Any idea about how create a Turn-based strategy game?? Like fire emblem?? (control movements). :(

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Help (Turn-based strategy )
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:36:56 AM »
Hi,

It depends what solution you'll be using for managing your turn based online server.

I have been working on porting the ExitGames Turn based solution for PlayMaker, it's still in beta but I can give you access to this if you are interested.

Photon Cloud itself now supports Turn based because Rooms can stay alive despite being empty, so users can join in again and the room kept all its custom properties, which is the base for turn based games.

So, in theory, what will happen is that you'll need to keep track of.

- who's playing, this list is permanent, but users can be offline or online, it doesn't matter
- who's turn it is.
- Keep properties of the current game ( who's winning, custom data related to the current state of the game and turn).

That's basically it really.

Typically, starting with turn based game means a very clear description of the game logic and what users are expected to do when it's their turn. There is no point to dive into development before this is not totally clear in your mind, or best on a real dashboard or printed out on a board for you to have a base to work on. It's essential.

The other very good approach is to first make your game non networked, use one device and implemenbt the whole game like that ( like the old school games where you had to share half of the keyboard to play duals with your bro ).

if you can do this, moving that game into a network game will be easier because you have already tackled all the turn management and problems linked with it, Refactoring will be needed and that's fine and expected, but it's easier than starting from scratch directly with a networked game, the debugging requires a lot more experience than regular games and can put you off. So go step by step here.

Bye,

Jean

PlaymakerNOOB

Re: Help (Turn-based strategy )
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:22:37 PM »
I found this yesterday Turn Based Strategy Framework and its pretty awesome considering its free.  Look at example #5, its what your interested in.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/50282

I havent looked at it too much, but it should be easier for somebody who is knowledgable in C# to expand it with playmaker actions.

Like spawning players and then getting them to snap to the grid with the built in functionality, etc, etc.