playMaker

Author Topic: Is playmaker the tool I need for this?  (Read 859 times)

vagodeoz

• Playmaker Newbie
Is playmaker the tool I need for this?
« on: May 26, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »
I´m a complete noob to programming and I know very little about Unity, but I want to make a easy app as an excercise.
My idea is to make something like a 2d sound trigger app, but instead of having on/off buttons, I want it to work with X/Y coordinates, triggering 2 sounds everytime you press in the screen. Sounds are about 6-8 seconds each.
To make it a bit more complicated, I want both axis to be independent. So for example you touch on the lower left screen and it triggers sounds X1 and Y1, and as you swipe to the lower right corner, it starts triggering X2, X3...etc until reaching X6 which is the latest one on the X axis, however, the whole time, the sound Y1 was playing uninterrupted, since the finger didn´t leave the Y1 zone.
For what I have read so far, seems that raycasting might be my best chance, but I´m not sure if that´s the way to do it, and if PlayMaker will help me archieve it.

My main doubt is about "seethrough" objects, or hitting 2 simultaneous objects with the same ray. I would obviously need to make 6 cubes on the X axis with full height, and 8 cubes on the Y axis with full width. However both sets of cubes would have to be slightly offset on the Z axis? Not necesarily? Is there a command I can use in PlayMaker to make raycast that can hit multiple game objects?
Thanks!

Ps: In case it wasn´t clear, I haven´t bought PlayMaker yet, I want to know first if it will provide all my needs.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Is playmaker the tool I need for this?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 03:49:51 PM »
Hi,

Sounds similar to the controls of the "Figure" app from PropellerHead, isn't it?

This kind of feature is totally doable with PlayMaker, basically, you get a relative position expressed as a vector2 within a rect you have define ( could be a UI Panel quite simply), once you have that, you can do control sound levels of several sounds binding the relative values with it.

However, this is not a beginner task, it involves many complex design pattern to master before achieving your feature. So be prepared for some learning :)

Bye,

Jean