playMaker

Author Topic: PlayMaker and Animator  (Read 7117 times)

adriend

• Playmaker Newbie
PlayMaker and Animator
« on: June 11, 2016, 05:34:41 PM »
Hello there,

I am new to PlayMaker and wanted to know if there are any good tutorial, from basic to advanced, on how to setup a controller and using the Unity Animator tool with PlayMaker?

I feel like it is lacking from the Hutong videos that are now pretty old - done before the animator was implemented I believe.

Thanks for your time.

Adrien

adriend

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: PlayMaker and Animator
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 11:11:55 PM »
Small bump?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 02:33:09 AM »
Hi,

Yes, this is pending. I have a series of animator samples, I need to upgrade to the newest version of PlayMaker, and I'll then do my best to make a video series to explain them.

Meanwhile, if you have questions, let me know, the principles are easy to pick up.

Bye,

Jean

adriend

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 02:16:16 PM »
Hey Jean,

Thanks for the offer. Do you use skype, and if yes, do you mind if we connect?

Cheers,
Adrien

adriend

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
So, I am very new. I am going to post my actual setup, which I am sure is wrong and am barely starting.

Right now, pressing the "Up" arrow is not playing the Jump animation for some reason.

Please let me know what I am missing. Thanks!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 03:13:20 AM »
Hi,

you seem to mix legacy animation playback and Animator.

Jumping with Animator shoudl be done using an Animator Parameter ( likely called "jump"), that would be either a boolean or a trigger. then you use "SetAnimatorBool" to raise the boolean or "SetAnimatorTrigger" if a trigger.

does that make sense? so your Animator controller should implement the jump as a state with proper transitions.

Use the Kyle Robot character from Unity to see a working example ( currently working on this to provide it on the Ecosystem)

Bye,

Jean

Zeldag

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
Hi,

I did this exact thing the first time I tried to animate via playmaker :D .

Basically there are two animation systems in unity, one is called Legacy, the other one is Mecanim.

You should use other actions for mecanim, but the more complex part is to set up the animator. This tutorial did a good job of explaining it for me in a nice simple and relatable context of a 2d platformer:
But if youre interested in my understanding of the topic, this is the basics of them, the way I wish someone had explained them to me in the beginning (but seriously, follow the above tutorial and you should grasp the basics of using the animator and the animator actions):

Legacy: you put animations in a list in the game object's inspector and then play them using code or playmaker FSMs when you need to. The main limitation (that I understand) is you have to code the changes of animation yourself and set up any variables/parameters in code/fsms for the animations to change.

Mecanim: You use the 'animator window' to set up an object's 'animator'. So you have a separate editor just for an animation FSM, there you define on which parameters the animation transitions will depend upon. Then all you have to do in code is set these parameters.

So as I said there are probably more technical differences but to summarise/oversimplify; it is just a different menu that you use and then it is just about using the actions appropriate for that menu :).

Good luck with it and I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 02:15:21 PM by Zeldag »

adriend

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »
Hello guys,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I tried Jean's solution as my first attempt, but the trigger would not work for some reason, I will send a screenshot shortly.

Zeldag, thanks, this is helpful. I am definitely using the animator already, but probably not probably. I will send a few additional screenshots of my setup.

THanks guys!

adriend

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 03:10:37 PM »
Alright, this my current setup. I am unsure how to transition from "MovePlayer" to "Jumping" in PlayMaker when Pressing the "Backspace" key.

dopecamel

• Playmaker Newbie
  • there is no spoon
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 06:12:24 PM »
heey

what you want to do is setup your animations normally (this is a good one
but instead of connecting the variables to the controls with scripts you use playmaker.

you want to use the set animtor actions.

if you have any problems i can send you a project files so you can look inside
sorry for bad english! not a native speaker

praise the sun

adriend

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »
Thanks guys, I will be looking into that!

adriend

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »
In a different domain, I am trying to create a map with 2d elements moving around. I found several posts about making PlayMaker and iTweenVisualPath to work together but did not manage to do it myself yet.

I am unsure which "Action" to use in PlayMaker to trigger the start of the iTweenPath.

A bit of help or some info on where to look/tutorial would be great! My current setup is attached.