playMaker

Author Topic: Save A game Object in running game to folder?  (Read 2096 times)

Captaincrud

• Junior Playmaker
Save A game Object in running game to folder?
« on: June 13, 2016, 04:56:44 AM »
So i need the ability to make a new game object save it to a folder so some one can take that game object to there own unity project. This must work from a build so the person doesn't need to own playmaker and does not access the scripts.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Save A game Object in running game to folder?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 06:40:32 AM »
Hi,

This is not possible without writing a proper serialization framework for this.

you'll need to define what can be saved, and create a way to save this informations into a text file ( can be binary, or plain text, like xml or json for example), then you need a mechanism to save and load this data.

This is definitly amongst the hardests thing to achieve in Unity by nature, so you should carefully plan for what you need exactly, don't go for a totally generic way, you'll get lost if you have no proper experience as a core programmer.

you'll find may assets on the asset store for serialization in game, mainly for saving game states, which is essentially what you are after.

The closest feature you shoudl use to achieve this in PlayMaker is DataMaker/XmlMaker which will allow you to load/save read/write Xml at runtime, but again, this is very advanced stuff in your case :)

If you have more specific questions, let me know.

Bye,

Jean
Bye,

Jean

Captaincrud

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
Well jean i'm a artist that wants to make a simple ui functions for a character creation system that they save game object or prefab for use in there projects. Is there any chance I can change the playmaker FSM  to c# after the point so they can use it in a open project without needed playmaker?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 02:56:07 AM »
Hi,

I am afraid not. PlayMaker doesn't generates any code, it's a core framework that is used to run Finite State Machines. All actions are open source and scripted, and you can create your own custom actions.

So if you start with PlayMaker for a feature, that feature will require PlayMaker where ever it's ran.

If you want pure c# Finite State Machine, there are several available on the Asset store, some open source as well.

Bye,

Jean