playMaker

Author Topic: Making a scene object into prefab referencing issue  (Read 1460 times)

coxy17

• Beta Group
Making a scene object into prefab referencing issue
« on: July 18, 2016, 04:54:28 AM »
Hi

I have a issue with one object in my setup, i have only one object i cant make into a prefab which is my player. I have other prefabs referencing my player (ive setup a global game object on my player so prefabs can reference it). When i make it into a prefab i get the message from other prefabs that they are not referencing a scene object. I sort understand why but I thought the global game object would resolve this, cant think of a way i can get around this issue, i have the prefab in my scene already prior to starting the game.

I reason I need my player to be a prefab instead of just a scene object is that the player can choose which character to be from the character selection screen. I have my default character in my scene but if it detects a switch in character then i want to load it instead.

Any help would be great, at a loss on where to go from here, not sure if instantiating a prefab could help but wont this still be the same issue for the other prefabs wont be able to reference it?

i hope im making sense.

Nick
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:03:28 AM by coxy17 »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Making a scene object into prefab referencing issue
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:21:59 AM »
Hi,
You can set your character into a global and use the action "Send Event By Name"
or maybe you can make a 'Player' parent gameobject with the fsm's you need and only swap the character visuals

coxy17

• Beta Group
Re: Making a scene object into prefab referencing issue
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:27:07 AM »
Hi

So at the moment the other prefabs use 'send event' then take the global game object to send it to (player object). So i guess i need to remove this and use 'Send Event By Name' instead? i have FSM's on the player prefab too. The setup for the player FMS will be the same for all characters except the visuals.

Yeah for the character switch i might do what you said and have a parent object.

Thanks

Nick