playMaker

Author Topic: A Question  (Read 1513 times)

inte17

• Playmaker Newbie
A Question
« on: August 01, 2016, 03:29:07 AM »
Hi. I am new to the unity and i am not a coder. I wanted to know how much capable is playmaker. So here is my question ;
Is it possible to choose the character that i am going to play in next scene in the end of the first scene? Once i choose can i disappear other characters from the scene? If so how?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: A Question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:12:39 AM »
Hi,

Welcome :)

The short answer is yes, but for proper help, you'll need to dive in PlayMaker first, because without the basics concepts, you won't understand the advices and directions people will give you.

What you are asking for requires medium skills. So before tackling this, I would first go through all the tutorials and samples, and learn PlayMaker basics, and once you get confortable with it, you can start looking for more advanced features.

--- now the long answer :)

- You'll create prefabs out of your various characters
- At the end of the Scene, you propose a UI to your player to pick the next character
- When you load the Scene, you ask your game what character was picked and instanciate this one.
- For previous instances of characters, you can delete them before loading the next scene, and likely save some player data such as points, health, position, etc etc something you'll reuse and reinject in your next character. OR you'll have a Player Manager agnostic to your character visuals, that you won't destroy when loading new scenes, so that you can keep Player's data intact as you switch characters.

All of this doesn't require any special custom actions, so indeed, no coding skilly requires to achieve this.

Bye,

Jean

Zeldag

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 10:05:54 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Playmaker is amazingly powerful! It can pretty much do most things that c# can and for beginners like us the few tiny things it cannot do will not matter for a long long time in most cases.

All I can say is if you want to program your game without learning to code- get playmaker. Or if you do want to code, get playmaker still and learn coding when you have time for it later, as playmaker is a great tool when working with othet scripts too :D . (Lol i think it is important to say at this point, i am not affiliated in anyway to Hutong games lol, just a big fan)

Here is a tutorial for playmaker that covers how to make a 'playable character' selection screen, if you want to see how you would go about achieving what you want (although generally i must agree with Jean, lol like i have the knowledge to ever disagree with him here lol, you should go through the beginner tutorials as you will just learn to be smooth with using playmaker and then can comfortably tackle things you actually want to make. But at the same time i found it interesting to see tutorials of more complex features when i was a total noob, for inspiration):

Good luck with it and hopefully ill see you around here :) !
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:45:57 PM by Zeldag »

inte17

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:18:30 AM »
Hi again. Sorry for late replies and thank you for answers! Tool seems really powerful. I think i am going to purchase it :)