playMaker

Author Topic: 2D controllable Humanoid characters without insane FSM complexity?  (Read 1163 times)

WarpZone

• Playmaker Newbie
I followed this tutorial ( basically to the letter with a few tweaks, and managed to get my character walking, jumping, and landing, all fully animated. 

I thought it would be easy to apply the techniques I'd learned from doing that to make my character throw a punch when Button 1 is pressed.  But after trying for 4 hours, I gave up.  It's just too complicated.

See, I want the player to be able to throw a punch while on the ground, but not while airborne.  I ALSO want to disable walking while a punch is being thrown.  In other words, if they are holding down the right button to walk and they tap the punch button, I want them to stop walking during the punch animation.  At some point in the future, I might want to allow other inputs to interrupt the animation frames of the punch, such as a dodge button, a different attack, or even jump.  Much later, I'll probably add in a completely separate midair punch with a different animation.

Basically, I want the freedom to add and remove player inputs and abilities however I see fit, until I can "find the fun."  But the way Playmaker is set up, lacking any reasonable tools for program flow, I just have no idea how to make any of this a reality.

Was I just following a bad tutorial?  What are the best practices for something like this?  All I want to do is make a regular normal video game where you press buttons to control a person.  For some reason, Playmaker seems almost impossible to use for something like this compared to doing it in good old fashioned C#.  Why is this so hard?  What am I doing wrong?