playMaker

Author Topic: How do I insert a string inside the sentence of another string?  (Read 1930 times)

4ppleseed

How do I insert a string inside the sentence of another string?
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »
Hello,
lets say a have some strings: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc.. and I can also generate some INT numbers between 1 and 31 and convert them to strings.

In Unity's UI how can I insert those two stings into a sentence?

As in You were born on day 24 which was a Wednesday
and then insert them into another...
You were born on day 3 which was a Monday

That sort of thing, is it possible with Playmaker without having to use multiplay Unity UI text boxes?

Thanks  8)

marv

• Junior Playmaker
Re: How do I insert a string inside the sentence of another string?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »
Heya,

I can think of two ways to achieve this.

a) Just build the string you want with a "build string" action... this lets you combine set pieces and variables into a new string or

b) Use "string replace" or "string regex replace", depending on your needs, to replace certain parts of a string. This is more interesting for when you have texts read out of an xml file for example. You'd have an initial string like "You were born on day [z] which was a [y]." and then just replace [z] with the day number variable and [y] with the day name variable.

The second way can get more complicated but is more flexible and better suited for dynamic content imo.

cheers

4ppleseed

Re: How do I insert a string inside the sentence of another string?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:13:01 AM »
You are totally right - I didn't even realise Build String was already built into PM. I must have overlooked it a million times.

Thanks!