playMaker

Author Topic: [Action Browser] Clear Filter shortcut  (Read 4150 times)

Gustav

• Junior Playmaker
[Action Browser] Clear Filter shortcut
« on: May 06, 2017, 06:48:47 AM »
Hello everyone,

it happend to me mutiple times that I hit Escape after searching for some terms to clear the filter and start a new search quickly. But you all know what happens if you hit Escape in the Action Browser. :o
Hitting Escape in the Event Browser or Global Browser does clear the filter.

I've attached the Action Browser in my Unity layout. So in this case I have to open and attach the window again.

I would like to request a new tiny option available in the settings menu of the Action Browser.
Something like "Clear Filter On Escape" instead of closing the window would be nice.
But according to user experience it would be more sensible to change the current behavior so the filter is cleared by hitting Escape by default like it does in the Event Browser or Global Browser. An option "Close Window On Escape" would make more sense.

What do you think? Sounds useful to me.

Greetings
Gustav
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:36:34 AM by Gustav »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: [Action Browser] Clear Filter shortcut
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
The idea was for the Action Browser to be more of a popup window that can be quickly dismissed. But I agree that it's inconsistent and there should be a way to quickly clear the search field.

I changed it for the next update so Escape clears the search field if there's text in it. Escape still closes the window if there's no text in the search field. So it's essentially 2 escape presses to dismiss it if there's a search filter.

Does that sound like a good compromise? I'd like to avoid another setting if possible...

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »
Hi,
Actually i would love to get rid of the escape closing the window, or when action window is docked that it will not close.
It happens many times to me that i pressed escape and i have to popup it again and place it back again.

Actions is a part that is frequently used, so personally i don't like it as a pop up.
when it is docked and i press the tab (or action browser) goes faster than popup.

Maybe you can set this as a preference?

Gustav

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
Does that sound like a good compromise? I'd like to avoid another setting if possible...
Sounds great and as a good compromise for me. But I can't speak for the people who use the Action Browser as popup window.

Thank you and regards
Gustav

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:33:08 AM »
Actually, I'm leaning towards a preference now. I can see it being super annoying to accidentally close the Action Browser if it's docked in your layout.

But I'll probably just re-use the "Close Window After Adding Action" preference. This preference basically controls if the window should act like a popup window, so it makes sense for it to also control if Escape should close the window.

Might not make it into the next update, but definitely after that...

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 04:55:11 AM »
Hi,
Maybe an option is what you suggested so that if you press escape a 2nd time it will close, except when docked.
i just recently was looking for this as i am working on an automation for my project.

I found this answer on unity : http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/62594/is-there-an-editorwindow-is-docked-value.html

Gustav

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
A re-use of the "Close Window After Adding Action" preference seems reasonable to me. But even if this option is enabled the user should be able to clear the filter with Escape, before closing the window.

Hm... But there is another problem. If the user just wants to close the window without clearing the filter because he wants so use it again soon, he needs to close the window with the mosuse.

Gustav

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:43 AM »
I updated PlayMaker today and found a little issue regarding this new feature.

If I press Escape the filter is cleared and the window loses focus. So I can't type something new without clicking inside the Action Browser again.