playMaker

Author Topic: Pathfinding and local avoidance for RTS  (Read 8055 times)

NewTo

• Playmaker Newbie
Pathfinding and local avoidance for RTS
« on: June 06, 2017, 04:52:44 AM »
Hello there,

I'm currently working on an RTS game and I reached a point where I need help.

When I take a bunch of units and order them to go to a certain location it's a mess, I need something like local avoidance so I took a look and I've found APEX path and A* Pathfinding. (I will have to move like 30-40units)

As I'm absolutely unable to code I was wondering which one is the best to use with playmaker ?
I have also seen "Apex Path Actions for PlayMaker" but there are 2 comments that says that most of playmaker actions are not working or totally empty, there is absolutely no positive comment.

For A* Pathfinding I only found a dead topic that say there will be an update
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=2540.0

What do you think I should do ?
Are there other any other pathfinding/local avoidance asset that works with playmaker ?

Next step is doing multiplayer stuff with PUN, I'm so hurry to do that !!

Ty for readings and thank you very much for the click and drag box you have already made (works very well).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:34:44 AM by NewTo »

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: Pathfinding and local avoidance for RTS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:22:20 AM »
Last time I checked, neither actions were working for either kit (related to the current versions of the assets). Those are the only two robust solutions that I am aware of.

I am using unitys built in pathfinding solution, but I didnt end up needing local avoidance (I am turn based).

If you are not able to do it in C#, but want to use one of those projects, you might have to hire someone to help with your scripting, or to write playmaker actions for them.??

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »
Why not use the build in pathfinding? Does it not do something you need?

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 07:34:39 AM »
I am not sure how good the local avoidance is with navmesh/path finding in unity. Also certainly A* seems to have better performance with more options. Of course, if unity pathfinding can fit your needs, it is far more simple to use.

Can anyone point to any runtime local avoidance documents for unity? In the past I read a fair amount about it not being possible. You can set navmesh agents to avoid each other, but they don't repath per se. They just minorly avoid each other (and sometimes not, depending on your settings)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:37:11 AM by tcmeric »

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 07:40:46 AM »
Also note, that unity's navmesh is in fact not the same kind of path finding as A*, which works on a tile system. You can see some of the differences here: https://arongranberg.com/astar/freevspro

A newer 2017 review here: https://ironic.games/unity-asset-store-reviews/unity-navmesh-vs-a-star-pathfinding-vs-apex-path

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »
Not sure yet what the difference in obstacle avoidance would be in practice?

You can now bake and runtime, though for things like new buildings in an RTS you should probably use the Navmesh obstacle component instead, as far as I am aware.

Not sure about the bit on performance, that could be a good reason. Maybe worth stress testing.

To be clear, I'm not saying built in Navmesh is the best option, I just haven't found a reason to not use it (now that you can bake at runtime). The fact that it already has full Playmaker support is great though!

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 02:19:53 AM »
How many agents do you need moving at once?

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 04:42:08 AM »
Ok, well, I decided I might put out some actions for A* free and pro. Ill release more info as I have it.

I might be looking for a few beta testers. Let me know if you want to be added to the list.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
Cool. Join me on our playmaker slack channel. https://invite-playmaker-slack.herokuapp.com/

Its easier to communicate there regarding the beta. My handle is the same @tcmeric .

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
Regarding your issue #2, about changing paths immediately, you should probably post for script help with this on the astar forum. Even with playmaker actions, this might require something more. Since I am not that familar yet with the package, see if you can get some script advice. Then maybe I can help you turn that into something playmaker.

As for rescanning, are you using the pro or free version? What kind of graph type are you using?

craigz

• Beta Group
    • Haven Made
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 12:13:08 AM »
Just wanted to chime in here and mention I'm SUPER interested in having some Playmaker actions for A*, so if you're working on them still @tcmeric, keep doing it! :D

-craigz

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 05:17:17 AM »
Hi, join me over at the (unofficial) playmaker slack chat channel. I am there almost everyday. https://invite-playmaker-slack.herokuapp.com

I have a set of actions in beta, as well as a few unpublished youtube videos on them. I can give you access there to them, if you want to start using them. I was planning to release them commercially eventually, but I am happy to let out a few copies for beta testing for free.

craigz

• Beta Group
    • Haven Made
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
Deal! I'll pop on it! :)