playMaker

Author Topic: Side Scroller Smooth Camera  (Read 3684 times)

eccoecco

• Playmaker Newbie
Side Scroller Smooth Camera
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »
I've been trying to create a simple moving camera to my side scrolling game but the closest I can come is attaching the camera to a game object and having the game object follow (or moveTo) the player.  However, every time I try this the object (once it reaches it's destination) starts acting all jittery which of course causes the camera to do the same.
How do I handle this?
(for some reason I've been able to pair the camera to a smooth flow if the object it's following does not have character controller attached)
(and yes, I've of course tried pairing the camera to the player directly which works fine unless I want the character to "look to" the direction he's moving towards then the camera goes crazy by pointing to the new direction)

(also, I can't "add force" to the player even though it's no issue for other objects in the scene)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:01:58 PM by eccoecco »

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
Re: Side Scroller Smooth Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »
Hi, apologies for digging up thid ancient topic, but that's why se search :) Seeking some help with this also. Speaking to a co-worker, he mentioned I need a Lerp function. Any tips?

Thx

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Side Scroller Smooth Camera
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:48:25 AM »
Hi,

The player is likely using the "character controller" which is a special item that you simply move around with thw transform position itself.

Have you experiment with the built in camera follow scripts from Unity itself?

Try using the action "Smooth follow" action instead

bye,

Jean