playMaker

Author Topic: A non typical FPS Camera  (Read 2300 times)

Ansem

• Playmaker Newbie
A non typical FPS Camera
« on: May 12, 2012, 05:16:19 AM »
Hi guys.

I'm working on developing a camera for a FPS game and I'm having some trouble getting it working with PM.

The problem is that I have (and want) want a visible player character with the camera looking out from the characters head, I want the player to be able to look down and see the characters arm, legs etc.

Check this video out to see exactly what I'm shooting for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiSnA6bivp4

I decided to just start off with some simple stuff like putting the camera directly in front of the characters head and parenting it to the head as well. So far so good, the camera bobs and moves as the characters head moves and so on, it looks good.

The main issue I'm having is with the mouse. I thought I could try a simple mouse look action attached to the camera, I can look around okay but I want the whole model to turn as I drag with the mouse, otherwise I can turn and see into the models face and everything. So I put the mouse look onto the model instead. That worked too, except the whole model literally rotates in whatever direction the camera is facing.

Basically I guess what I want is for when the player drags the mouse to one side the model turns to the side as well, maybe even plays a turning animation when it happens.

It's confusing to explain I know, any ideas on how to approach this?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: A non typical FPS Camera
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
Sounds like maybe you need to split up the horizontal and vertical rotations.

Use the horizontal motion of the mouse to rotate the model left/right.

Use the vertical motion of the mouse to rotate the camera up/down.

You can get mouse motion using Get Axis with "Mouse X" and "Mouse Y"