playMaker

Author Topic: GameDataEditor - Help needed with 'GDE Create Item' [SOLVED]  (Read 1894 times)

omgitstri

• Playmaker Newbie
    • My Prototypes
GameDataEditor - Help needed with 'GDE Create Item' [SOLVED]
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
Hello,

I'm just trying to create a quick FSM to save the position of some game objects that I choose so I can spawn them the next time I play the game, I thought of using "GDE Create Item" but it doesn't seem to work.

This is what I've done so far:
  • Created a Schema with Game Data Editor
  • Created a few cubes in the scene and added an FSM which does the following:
  • Initiate the GDE Manager
  • Create Item in the same Schema

When it gets to the last state, it always give me an error saying "Schema doesn't exist!"
it also changes the name field of the item I want to create as well.

BTW I forgot to mention that I got the actions from here
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=15458.msg75820#new
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:51:30 PM by omgitstri »
Tri Nguyen
Game Designer at Nvizzio Creations

Deek

Re: GameDataEditor - Help needed with 'GDE Create Item'
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »
Please provide a screenshot of your Create Item action or tell me what you put into its fields.
GDE is very strict in what you can and can't write into it. Because of that I also created further actions that help in debugging; in your case you could use "GDELoadSchemaList" (doesn't necessarily need an Array List, you can also save all existing Schemas in a String or String-Array to see if the Schema that you're trying to access actually exists).

It would also be helpful to know, how you created your Schema in step 1, since there are several different approaches to it.

Word of advice: If you don't already, only initiate the GDE Manager once at the start of the scene, since it's a very machine-heavy operation and will lead to lags if you do it more often in your scene.

Deek

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »
Nevermind, the error was on my part. I got the same problems when testing the action myself, even though it weirdly didn't cause any trouble when creating the action.

The problems mainly occured because I wrote a custom inspector for that action, which showed all available Schemas and Item Names, but because there were several problems with writing those values to the action and because it caused lag spikes when loading all data, I removed that custom inspector and re-worked the action, which means you have to delete the "GDECreateItemInspector.cs" file and replace the "GDECreateItem.cs" with the one from the attachments or the initial post.

Sorry for that, but it should work now and I tested it more thoroughly this time :P

omgitstri

• Playmaker Newbie
    • My Prototypes
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »
Nevermind, the error was on my part. I got the same problems when testing the action myself, even though it weirdly didn't cause any trouble when creating the action.

The problems mainly occured because I wrote a custom inspector for that action, which showed all available Schemas and Item Names, but because there were several problems with writing those values to the action and because it caused lag spikes when loading all data, I removed that custom inspector and re-worked the action, which means you have to delete the "GDECreateItemInspector.cs" file and replace the "GDECreateItem.cs" with the one from the attachments or the initial post.

Sorry for that, but it should work now and I tested it more thoroughly this time :P

Thanks for the reply!
I'll test this out during lunch or afterwork.
Thanks again for the advice  ;D
Tri Nguyen

omgitstri

• Playmaker Newbie
    • My Prototypes
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 12:15:46 PM »
Hello again,

I just tested the new "GDECreateItem.cs" and it's working perfectly!
This is really great, thanks a lot for the help!
Tri Nguyen