playMaker

Author Topic: Preventing enemies from walking through each other  (Read 1697 times)

kavery

Preventing enemies from walking through each other
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:46:01 PM »
Forgive me if this topic exists but I can't find it, or know what other terms to search.

I was watching a game called Bladestorm, noticing how lovely it is that a crowd of 50+ people can clammer about w/ zero intersecting and very tight proximity to each other.

This has been a struggle for me for 2 years.. I use trigger events to stop walkers, redirect etc, but it also requires some 'on trigger stays' to prevent walking through each other. Although it finally works fairly well after a couple hundred hours of trial and error, it's nothing like Bladestorm.

I read today about using character controllers to handle this.. I've tried using move rigidbody actions, and other translate methods but they just go right through each other despite controllers and rigidbody. 

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:49:05 PM by kavery »

LordHorusNL

• Beta Group
Re: Preventing enemies from walking through each other
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »
Obstacle avoidance would normally be handeled by your Nav Mesh Agent i believe, are you're NPC's currently using navmesh?

kavery

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »
They are not.. I prefer to have more free wandering enemies with move towards script rather than bound to a specific region.

kavery

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »
However maybe I'm overlooking something valuable with navmesh. I'll try it and see if it works with my setup. Thanks for the tip.