playMaker

Author Topic: How to manually move a character, without loosing it's collision?  (Read 2524 times)

Swift_Illusion

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Midnight Tinkering
I have a problem with my character which uses a character controller, when trying to move it manually.
For its jump I've used 'iTween Move By' to move the character up, however the problem is that this
and every other forced movement, causes the character to ignore collision (if an object is above it
when it jumps, it will go through that object).
So my question is, is there some way to keep the character colliding so it won't go through that surface?
I'd greatly appreciate some help with this.

MkAndersson

Re: How to manually move a character, without loosing it's collision?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 03:14:49 AM »
Hello.

I'm using controller move when I make my character jump. Just add a vector3 variable with your jump speed on Y. https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W521 I'm not sure if that's the best way to go but works for me.

I'm also looking into maybe using an Animate Vector3 action to get a nice speed change so the jump feels more natural and not so stiff. Haven't tried it yet though so I don't know if it works.

Hope that helped anyway.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:16:55 AM by MkAndersson »

Swift_Illusion

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Midnight Tinkering
Re: How to manually move a character, without loosing it's collision?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:10 AM »
Sorry for the late reply-was trying to work on other things then came back to this.

Yeah...as you mention the problem is it really looks stiff. One of the main reasons I was hoping for a different solution. I got it working but I just wish it didn't require controller move for that, especially because that also restricts colliding moving objects to those that have a character controller.