playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker Game Jam  (Read 31445 times)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Playmaker Game Jam
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:03:39 AM »
Hi, so some of us have been discussing putting together a playmaker game jam. Please post below if you would be interested in joining. It would likely be 48 hours long, over a weekend. A secret theme would be chosen. Rules would be pretty flexible to allow very small teams or single person teams to be able to create.

Judged or ranked, not sure yet. All done online. Itch.io seems like a good place to do it. Our unofficial playmaker slack channel is also open for chatting. https://invite-playmaker-slack.herokuapp.com

Comment below if you are interested or have ideas? I have never hosted a game jam before  8)

maorblu

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Playmaker Game Jam
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:55:21 AM »
Great idea!
Do you think we'll have enough people for few teams, or create a single team and have a "Playmaker community game"?

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:01:15 AM »
Hi, this will be a playmaker game jam (rather than join someone elses game jam). So people can either form their own team to enter, or they can enter as a solo. Each team or solo will make their own game/project. One of the requirements will be that people use playmaker in their game. At the end, they are released.

antibob

• Playmaker Newbie
    • BillsClass
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
Count me as interested.
I know a few other who would be interested as well.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »
Hi,
I would be interested also.
But i am in lack of time, especially in the weekend.
But i could help judging maybe.

fletcherkildren

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:40:02 PM »
I'm digging this idea!

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:00:03 PM »
djaydino, promoted to Judge  8) . I will act as a second, and maybe we need a third if Jean or Alex is interested in doing that?

(Judges may participate but may not have their games judged).

Bill Whetsel has also expressed interest, along with his class. I think we can find a few more people as well.

Do we want 3 days, so we have enough time? A friday, sat, sun? I think sometime in march would be good, as it gives us some time to prepare. But not too far in the future that it never happens.

Thoughts?

Once we have a date, I will set up the itch.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:17:34 AM »
Hi,

oh!!! nice idea!

Let me propose something: The winners of the game jam will receive this:

I think the one on the left looks better ( quality on the right is bad, but I can print it with higher def of course)

What do you think? I can can print the name, game name of the winner as well, so it would be a personal unique piece for each winner :)

In order to get more people involved, we can promote this on twitter, on the forum with a dedicated thread, explaining the rules and keeping things updated, and on the Unity forum too.

Bye,

Jean

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 05:53:33 AM »
Fancy! Can it be dated?

I also have 1 or two asset developers who might be willing to pitch in an asset store free coupon for the winners.

What shall we call it? 2018 Playmaker Game Jam Challenge? 

Purposed rule. Coding should be 50% playmaker or more. (C# is allowed of course).
While you don't have to release your source code (as this might be an issue with playmaker and any other third party we allow), but you will be required to screen shot FSM?

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:07:06 AM by tcmeric »

maorblu

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 08:09:45 AM »
As we want to make it educational, maybe a short video explaining the logic of the main few FMS?

Also, I think adding contact method for questions and help could be beneficial. Something along the lines of "Have questions about any action in the game? Contact me xxx@xxx.com"

Once we have a formal date and link, I'd love to share in Facebook groups I manage / member of :)

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 05:59:14 PM »
Hi,
i agree that we want to make it educational.

As a judge, personally i would want to see the fsm/states/actions setup as a part of the judging and to see if playmaker is used enough  ( i would set playmaker usage minimum a lot higher than 50% as it is a 'playmaker' jam :) )

You can submit without playmaker.dll and it should be fine then for playmaker
i can make a video if needed to explain what you should not add.

Rabagast

• Homepage
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 06:25:53 PM »
Sounds very nice. Can we make whatever we want? Can I use a part of a game I'm working on right now? Or do I need to start from scratch?
Check out our homepage. http://www.walsberg.no
Or my personal game blog for news about my games. http://retro-tetro.walsberg.no

Unisonkid

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 11:45:20 PM »
What are the prizes?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 02:03:54 AM »
Hi.
With a Game Jam you usually get a certain topic and you should build your game on that topic from scratch.

Here are some gamejam rules :
https://globalgamejam.org/news/be-cool-rules

And here is some explanation about Game Jam's :
https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-a-game-jam--gamedev-437

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 03:55:48 AM »
Hi,

-- yes the prize model to print can and will be dated

-- I do think that the code should be exposed, not public but definitly accessible to the judge at least, but that depends if there will be some points attributed to the quality of execution, and not just the quality of the final product (which can be very messy in the way it was executed yet compeling to the end user, and vice versa).

Bye,

Jean