playMaker

Author Topic: Loading/Saving data between players[SOLVED]  (Read 1290 times)

puddlepouncer

• Playmaker Newbie
Loading/Saving data between players[SOLVED]
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »
Hi,

I've been starting to look into a way to save data to be accessed between players and i'm not sure which way to go about it and was hoping for some pointers.

I'll break down quickly an example of what I want to achieve.

Players can answer questions (How old are you, whats your favorite pet...)
These questions are stored in a universal document.

Players can in turn get info what other players have answered. For instance

"You (Peter) answered that your favorite pet is dog. Laura, Michael, Maria also answered that their favorite pet is dog"

I've been looking into datamaker (thanks for a great package!) and managed to load questions from an xml. I've also know how to store data in a proxy xml. I'm not sure where I go from here though or if this is the right approach? How to I get the proxy xml to be saved permantantly in a file on disc (perhaps on google drive?) for instance.

From looking through the forum I've been starting to glare at easy save and playerprefs to move forward but as I said i'm not sure if I'm going about this the wrong way so just trying to get some help nudging me in the right direction :)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:40:11 AM by jeanfabre »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Loading/Saving data between players
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 12:48:07 AM »
Hi,

using EasySave is likely the best way to go.

If your game is local only, you can save on the local device, else you can save on a simple php server shared host ( any web host will offer this, with a simple php/mysql access, you don't need the mysql, just the php, easysave has some tutorial on what to do on the php side to accetp easysave to load and save from it)

If your game is going to complexify, maybe you should consider a proper backend, because if you store your data online, then pulling everything everytime is going to be sub optimal, and so a proper REST API where you can query data for a particular user or particular context will be better, but you need to script in php/mysql or other similar solutions

Bye,

Jean
Bye.

Jean

puddlepouncer

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Loading/Saving data between players
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:28:57 PM »
Thank you so much.

I bought Easy save and will give it a go.