playMaker

Author Topic: Is Playmaker a Photon Asset, or Unity asset?  (Read 2796 times)

robluk3833

• Playmaker Newbie
Is Playmaker a Photon Asset, or Unity asset?
« on: March 28, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
If its Playmaker working as a asset for Unity, its obvious, that should have rather compatibility with UNet than with Photon, at first place!

Will You do compability with UNet, or You waiting till Bolt will do that?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Is Playmaker a Photon Asset, or Unity asset?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
Hi.
Playmaker is not working for unity (as far as i know)

But there are actions for Unet available on the Ecosystem

robluk3833

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 07:41:48 AM »
I did not know about actions for UNet. Thanks.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »
Hi,

uNet is unfortunatly not a good solution for solid projects, the only advantages using uNet is that it works in LAN situations, otherwise, I would strongly advice against, and choose Photon instead.

Be also aware that if you plan on releasing anything to the public using uNet and its matchmaking system, you will need to contact Unity directly.

Also, uNet is a far more complex network system requiring for its main usage a dedicated headless Unity version running on servers, like Amazon, needless to say this is really, really, really expensive :)

All this to say that PlayMaker support for uNet is limited for the time being and not officially supported, only via the wiki actions I created a while ago for this.

Could you tell us more what you plan on doing with you project and what kind of expectations you have as far as its multi player ability?

Bye,

Jean

robluk3833

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 09:09:00 AM »
Thank You Jean for complex answer.

I have really tough decision to make, advice will be really good.

I want to create bunch of simple multiplayer games for android, and ios devices. I want to start with turn based strategy's, later I think to do some actions strategy's, and what is important I think, I gonna need for few games option of database on server to keep data, about relations in games, between players.

I was thinking about Dedicated server, Photon or UNet.

robluk3833

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:30:23 AM »
I get free Bolt to my subscription of Plus, and I start to be interested with topic. Then a lot of good comments about Playmaker make me to buy this asset. I wasn't happy with Bolt because program is to complicated, but after few hour with Playmaker I created piece of my game with big smile on my face:) Convinced me, how clear is Playmaker, and easy to understand  even for beginer. Idea of network multimplayer using Playmaker is really something what I could learn and use, but still I need to chose, what will be the best for my games. I understand that, when I will start to go with one way, I would like to focus on it, and learn all about it. So any advices are welcome.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 09:37:21 AM »
Hi,
You can find some documentation for photon on the wiki page : https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W928

and a tutorials serie :