playMaker

Author Topic: Third Person Controller - Jumping  (Read 2299 times)

SwatHound

• Playmaker Newbie
Third Person Controller - Jumping
« on: June 23, 2018, 12:01:08 AM »
Hello hello. I'm trying to make a third person controller using playmaker, and I've hit a wall involving using simple move vs move, and being able to actually have my character 'jump'.

Would anyone be able to point me in the general direction of where I could fix this issue? Every tutorial I've watched seems to involve the character jumping using an animation, and I can't seem to find one that uses a simple 3D object.

tl;dr - is it possible to translate the following image into a SFM?

edit: if anyone can point me towards the proper documentation, or a tutorial, that would be truly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:04:01 AM by SwatHound »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Third Person Controller - Jumping
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »
Hi.
Make a separate fsm for your 'jump' and you can use 'add force' and set to impulse to do a jump

SwatHound

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »
Hi djaydino, thanks for the reply. I wen't ahead and programmed everything by hand, but I still want to learn how I would be able to translate it into an FSM.

Sorry for the great wall of text ahead, I will be more than happy if someone could link me the specific page(s) in the playmaker manual that might set me on the right path.

Are there some things that are just better off programmed by hand? Or can Playmaker really emulate everything with enough states?

I've gone through all of the youtube tutorials by playmaker, and I've gone through the manual, but I can't seem to find anything involving "Jump + third person controller".

--------------------------------------

The issue i'm having is keeping the player from being able to 'spam jump' within the first few frames of being grounded, and sometimes indefinitely.

I'm not sure which combination of..

move, simple move, "is kinematic", rigidbody, character controller, and 'use gravity', I am suppose to use to get the proper jumping feel.

Sometimes, I can jump, but my model begins rotating like crazy and is unable to lift.

Sometimes, I can definitely see a reaction in the game world, but it seems my character is glue'd to the ground, trying to jump, causing some sort of camera stutter.

other times, I can jump, but gravity is not affecting me what so ever and my character flies off into space forever.

AND more rarely, sometimes my character will randomly stutter every 3-10 seconds, with or without input, causing the camera to twitch.

----

From the floundering around I've done, the best I could come up with is...

Simple move is great, but you can't modify the Y axis too well(?)

Move is great, but it doesn't care about gravity.

Something something something, Rigid body + character controller = bad??

TL;DR - When should I use the built in character controller?

What should I use if I want finely tuned jumping using the Move function but can't seem to get gravity to apply to my character?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »
Hi.
I am not sure how you made your setup, but you could add a 'wait' or something after jump button is pressed so it can not be pressed again until jump is 'ready' again.

for movement i use 'get axis' or 'get axis vector' and the 'set velocity'.

if you search on youtube for 'playmaker 3rd person controller' you can find some tutorials how to set up the moment.