playMaker

Author Topic: Handheld camera effect?  (Read 1044 times)

indeed

• Junior Playmaker
Handheld camera effect?
« on: July 28, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »
Hi, I'm curious how to use playmaker to add a constant subtle random motion to a camera, as if handheld. I'm probably missing something obvious but I can't find an easy way to offset a position within a range relative to the camera's current position.

I tried applying perlin noise to the Y axis of the camera's position in "Self" space, but because it's always based on the last position, the noise causes the motion to slowly go out of control over time.

indeed

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Handheld camera effect?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »
I just got something working in case anyone is interested. On an empty gameobject's FSM, I use action "random vector3 inside sphere" (using cam's position as the sphere center) to set a random point. Then a "Move Towards" action to move towards that point. That loops the gameobject's position forever.

This solves random motion around a fixed point, but it is very linear motion. Then I just add the action Position Smooth Damp to the camera, using the empty gameobject as the target. It's then easy to control the intensity using the "Smooth Time" within the Position Smooth Damp action.