playMaker

Author Topic: Smarter actions for handling paths and folders  (Read 3000 times)

AndroYD

• Playmaker Newbie
Smarter actions for handling paths and folders
« on: August 07, 2018, 04:10:45 AM »
Hello Playmakers, IMHO the way Playmaker (or Unity) handles paths and folders is impratical at best with the currently available actions, sometimes I have to point Playmaker to a path that doesn't exist yet because I have to anticipate how some folders are going to be named (automatically) after clicking "Build", for instance, if you use "Load From File" action (on the Ecosystem) to load "data.txt" file that's in StreamingAssets folder, on a PC build you will have to point it to this path "YourAppName_Data\StreamingAssets\data.txt", consequently, you can't preview anything unless you change the path names back and forth everytime you need to test, and biggest pain is, that path will break as soon as you change your app name to something else or build for a different platform. Why can't we have a smarter/modular approach? Like, drag and dropping the file I want it to point to and it automatically figures out what's the path for every platform, no need for me to write it manually.
The closest thing to that is the "Get Environment Special Folder" (there's no typo) in the Ecosystem.
Why we don't have an action that can point where the StreamingAssets and/or Resources folder is inside a string or something? I'm surprised this action isn't commonly available.

AndroYD

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Smarter actions for handling paths and folders
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:50 AM »
Speaking of the devil, I found this "Get Application Path" action on Github a few minutes ago, seems to work fine on Windows builds, not so much on Android, leaving this here in case you need it: https://github.com/Plancksize/PlaymakerActions , weird that something like this isn't available by default on the Ecosystem

stigma

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 04:56:58 AM »
page 404 !!!

Maart

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 06:56:44 AM »
check attached file